• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Backup targets of symlinks via Backup Manager

King555

Regular Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 18.04.6 LTS x64
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian 18.0.45 update #2 web admin edition
I have one subscription where the folder inside vhosts/... contains one symlink, which points to another directory on the harddisk. I backup this folder weekly automatically via the Plesk Backup Manager. Unfortunately the symlink target is not backed up. The backup file only contains one 0-byte file with the name of the symlink.

I know how I can fix this with manual backups when using "tar", but can I fix it with the automatic backups?

Meanwhile I think it must be a permission thing and the user, which does the backup, cannot access the target of the symlink.

How can I find out which user runs the backup?

It seems like this is not possible with Plesk, so I will backup this directory via my own script and a cronjob. Probably it's also safer, because the directory is not revealed to the public when it's not symlinked in the vhost folder (although it's always blocked via a .htaccess file).

So this topic is kind of resolved.

Back