• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Backup to cloud

Atramasis

Basic Pleskian
I use Plesk 17.8 and wanted to know more about the new backup feature. I would like to use OneDrive for backup and already successfully connected my account. What are the advantages of cloud backup? I will have a separate copy of the data and more space on the server, OK. But is there also a speed difference? What about load on the server? Does it copy directly to OneDrive or first create the backup on the server and then transfer it?
Will there be one big file (about 20GB + incremental files) or many small files (like I see until now in /var/lib/psa/dumps)? Does it depend on the backup password setting and / or multivolume setting?
Many questions, I know, but the documentation is lacking.

There is no reason for so many doubts. The plesk backup manager remains the same, the only difference is that you can now use it with Google Drive, OneDrive ...

Work the same way you worked with FTP.

I believe that in a matter of speed Google Drive gains advantage because Google has its own private network of high speed. What I liked most about this news is that my customers will be able to make and restore backups on their own client dashboard.

Because you do not risk a little, do a test and then return this topic if you have any questions? A backup, never hurts =)

What are the advantages of cloud backup? http://www.channelfutures.com/industry-perspectives/5-biggest-advantages-cloud-backup

But is there a speed difference? You will get a higher speed depending on the location to where the data will be sent and how that backup server is from your own server. I mentioned that to Google Drive.

What about load on the server? Nothing to comment. The backup destination will not influence the load. What will influence whether the backup is complete or incremental ...

Does it copy directly to OneDrive or first create the backup on the server and then transfer it? The backup is created on your server for security and then sent to the desired location. This can be adjusted.

Will there be one big file (about 20GB + incremental files) or many small files (like I see until now in / var / lib / psa / dumps)? There will be a large file.

Does it depend on the backup password setting and / or multivolume setting? I did not understand, could you explain better?

Many questions, I know, but the documentation is lacking. Not that there is missing documentation. Yes there is. The problem is that the current documentation does not use clear language that you can easily understand, you will understand this better in practice ...

This does not answer my questions and is not helpful.

The only thing that was not helpful was the way you asked the question. You start by referring to "backup to cloud" and the new features of Plesk and asking several questions. Of course I thought you were referring to how to use the new plesk backup manager (which actually has nothing new, just improvements). Maybe if you described your questions better I could help you better. A thank you would be good, would not you say?

Anyway, I strongly recommend that you test this feature for yourself. Even why the worst could happen? :)

I tried the cloud backup to OneDrive and will share my experience:

• The CPU load is about the same (% and time) as local backup, sending data to OneDrive takes of course more time and a little bit CPU.
upload_2018-3-12_11-20-19.png
First backup was local, second to cloud. You can see how uploading needs a bit CPU, took 1h.
Memory usage didn't seem to be affected.​

• It is not really necessary to make a multivolume, because Plesk splits to 100MB tar files automatically and just creates folders as volumes. This should be better explained.
  • Based on disk usage, Plesk saves all backup files locally, sends them and than deletes when sent. So you need more space (=backup size) on your disk for a short time.
  • When I deleted the backup in Plesk, it was also deleted in OneDrive.

Back