• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Backup to FTP: SSL connection timeout

CRMMailTechNL

New Pleskian
Since about March 11th 2016, both of our Centos 6.7 Plesk 12.5.30 update #27 servers refuse to upload files to our backup FTP server.

All of them seem to fail due to "SLL connection timeout". Attached is a slightly anonymized fragment of a `migration.log` file. Similar fragments appear in each and every migration.log file about a dozen times.

Switching passive mode and/or FTPS does not make any difference. This happens for both scheduled and manually started backups.

I have no problem connecting, uploading and downloading from the FTP server using FileZilla in both FTP and FTPS modes.
Uploading a file using CURL from the command line also works fine;
`curl -v -k --ftp-ssl ftp.hidrive.strato.com/<USERNAME>/<SUBDIRECTORY>/ --user <USERNAME>:<PASSWORD> --upload-file /some/random/file`

What could be causing the problem, and how do I solve it?

Attachments

• plesk_backup_fail.txt
    5.1 KB · Views: 2
Hi CRMMailTechNL,

could you please change your configuration to a debug-level-mode, described at:

Afterwards you might get a more verbose output over the command line and in your log - files, which might point directly to a possible solution. If you need help with your investigations, please consider to post the log again ( with debug-level-mode switched on ), so that suggestions to solve your issue might be done. ( If you are concerned about securtity, please send your log - file as attachment within a private conversation, either with me, or with a Plesk-Team-Member )

I've enabled the logging and run a few backups.
The following seems to be the relevant logging:
Code:
[2016-03-30 11:56:37] DEBUG [util_exec] [56fba2d5eba9f] Starting: pmmcli /usr/local/psa/admin/bin/pmmcli '--get-tasks-list'
[2016-03-30 11:56:37] DEBUG [util_exec] [56fba2d5eba9f] Finished in 0.00193s, Result: TRUE
[2016-03-30 11:56:38] DEBUG [util_exec] [56fba2d666fe4] Starting: pmmcli /usr/local/psa/admin/bin/pmmcli '--pmmras-exec' '--get-ftp-dump-info' '--lightweight-mode' '--dump-storage=ftp://<USERNAME>@ftp.hidrive.strato.com/users/<USERNAME>/<SUBDIRECTORY>' '--dump-file-specification=backup_info_1603301412.xml' '--session-path=/var/log/plesk/PMM'
[2016-03-30 11:56:38] DEBUG [util_exec] [56fba2d666fe4] Finished in 0.00226s, Result: TRUE
[2016-03-30 11:56:39] ERR [panel] Get dump 'domains/SUBDOMAIN.DOMAIN.TLD/backup_info_1603300957.xml': Transport error: Unable to download remote file 'ftp://ftp.hidrive.strato.com/users/<USERNAME>/<SUBDIRECTORY>/backup_info_1603300957.xml': Curl error: Remote file not found. Server response code: 550

Hi CRMMailTechNL,

• please make sure, that you opened all needed ports as suggested at:

• Please make sure, that no firewall is blocking your ports.
  • Consider to use the option to split backups and try to avoid files larger than 2047 MB.
  • Consider to disable "Reverse lookups" in your "/etc/proftpd.conf" as for example:
Code:
<Global>
IdentLookups Off
</Global>
UseReverseDNS Off

• Consider to specify own timeout - definitions at "/etc/proftpd.conf" ( times are defined in seconds ) as for example:
Code:
<Global>
TimeoutNoTransfer        900
TimeoutStalled           600
TimeoutIdle              1800
</Global>

• Have a closer look at the thread:

• Try to discuss your issue and possible other tweaks in the above thread - I'm sure the thread-starter will enjoy the challenge to solve your issue and the community might be interested in investigations and modifications/suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a combination of adding the line
Code:
PassivePorts 20000 29999
to the file `/etc/proftpd.conf` (just above `<Global>`) AND changing all FTP settings to enable `Use passive mode` worked.
It seems to work on one server, now testing it on the other server.

Back