• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Basic Slave DNS Manager question

Erik73

New Pleskian
Hi guys,

please allow me a question about the Slave DNS Manager. Just starting a hosting company and to keep things nice and tidy I would like to use the same two nameservers for all my customers of my entire (hopefully soon big :)) fleet of Plesk servers - something like:

ns1.valuegardens.net and
ns2.valuegardens.net

I thought about using the Slave DNS Manager extension to let the Plesk servers push their DNS infos to this two slave servers and then publish only the names and IPs of those two slaves at my registrar and to my customers. This way nobody has to deal with all those IPs from the Master DNS-servers running on the different Plesk servers. Would it be a good practice to do it this way? Or what is the normal way to achive my goal?

Thank you so much for your help!

Warm regards,
Erik
PS: Sorry this might be a basic question but I am pondering on this for a while now

Yes, it is good practice for hiding Master nameservers. But note that often an obligatory condition for the registrar to successfully delegate a domain is the availability of at least two nameservers that support the delegated domain. In this case, they have to be located in different IP-networks of class C.
I think it would be better to ask registrar about possibility your scenario from their side.

Last edited:
Thank you for bringing up the term "Hidden Primary". Now I found an article that explains that the Secondary DNS servers are in the same way authorative as the Primary server so there will be no problem to hide the Primary server. Good to have it in the back of my head to use different class C networks for the servers. By the way: the document in the Plesk documentation on how to setup a slave DNS works very well :)

It should be on a different infrastructure. If your DNS server is in another class C but in the same infrastructure you're just fooling the TLD and yourself.

Back