• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Best Practice for customers with custom handlers

Tobias Sorensson

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Windows Server 2016
Plesk version and microupdate number
18.0.49 Update #2
Hello

we got a new client that wants to override plesks default handlers with its own.
its a very old app that they have according to the new client.
they used it in azure on a vm there.

i dont feel like we should allow it because its a security risk but i would like to hear you guys opinion.

is it safe to disable the override protection? i mean its there for a reason.
we have other users on the same plesk server and we do not want to have one site mess with them/ or cause harm to the other clients website.

I'd say it would depend on the custom handler they're trying to use. When you disable the protection then new domains going forward will be able to use web.config to create custom handlers so it should only affect those who are using their own web.config custom stuff but~, you basically opening yourself up for some bad time as well depending on what the application is.

To be honest, if I was in your shoes, I'd probably have a server just for them so they can do whatever they please without fear of their application possibly affecting anyone else, especially older applications that might not even work on Server 2016 without you adding or munking with additional settings (I know, I have a client that can't move some of their web applications from Windows Server 2008 R2 because of how it was built, they basically need to rebuild it which they're slowly doing).

Hi scsa20,

Do you consider that it is a risk to allow custom handlers and that we should check the box "Prohibit the ability to override handlers via web.config"?

I was still faced with this issue today... What harm could come from here?

Custom handlers alone isn't a bad thing, since all you're doing is mapping extensions to your application to handle the request (for example, having TXT extensions processed as normal HTML or PHP, or using Microsoft's Docs's example: " if a developer created a handler that created RSS-formatted XML, you could bind the .rss file name extension in your application to the custom handler." But what can be a problem is if the application is so old and not updated that it can be exploited, and some web application might be programmed in a way that can't be run on newer OSes for one reason or another.

So, again, this is all a it depends. Generally there is no security risks one way or another allowing users to override handlers through web.config other then the user doing something stupid which breaks the site (such as having PHP and/or HTML process as normal text files), that's about it.

Back