• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Best way to manage backups

Lrnt

Basic Pleskian
Hi,

I just want your advices about Backup Management.
Today I use a daily backup of the entire server (Not incremential and on 7 days).
Each final backup file is about 60G (without mail accounts) and stored on an external FTP.

I would like to have separated backups, one for each domain.
  • Is this possible with Plesk ?
  • Can Plesk handle multiple backup at the same time?
  • Can Plesk handle multiple FTP connections to upload backup on my external storage?
With separated backups, it will be easier to restore something if needed...
What do you think?

Thank you

I would like to have separated backups, one for each domain.
  • Is this possible with Plesk ?
  • Can Plesk handle multiple backup at the same time?
  • Can Plesk handle multiple FTP connections to upload backup on my external storage?

in generell YES, depends of the available ressources - well Plesk has several backup posabilities for Server and individual backups via gui or cli stored local or on a remote repositotry like ftp or cloud. See details Backing Up and Restoration & pleskbackup: Backing Up Content and Configuration
So on the end it is up to you which backup & restor strategy would be the best for you based on demand and the existing infrastructure you have

Last edited:
Thanks for you reply.

Months ago I tried to set up multiple backup at the same time (One per site, content and configuration).
But I received an message saying that backups can not be finished because too many ftp connection can not be used.
I try to change some settings but no success that's why I use only one big backup but I would prefer one per domain...

i'm sorry but i couldn't find any exact dates for simultaneous ftp connection with the plesk backup. maybe you're lucky and some forum members share their experience with you. But as I wrote it depends on what resources are available and how you plan the backup. If simultaneous ftp connections are the problem, you can certainly adjust the timing or the sequence of the backup.

as you have described you would like to backup the domains one by one and store them remotely on an ftp server to be able to restore them "easier" if necessary. I used to do that in the past but now I prefer to do the Plesk server backup on a cloud storage and enjoy the speed and benefits of backing up & restore. But as I said, everything depends on the existing infrastructure.

Last edited:
The number of concurrent FTP connections is probably not limited by the local server, but by the remote server. You need to allow more concurrent connections on the FTP server.

Thanks @Peter Debik.
That's what I think too.

Unfortunately, the remote server is provided by my host which do not permit any configuration.

A workaround can be to limit the number of concurrent backup processes to "2" on the backup settings page (second field from top). This does not limit the number of FTP processes, but if several backups run at the same time, it could exceed your FTP limit, so limiting the number of backup processes will also reduce FTP usage.

Back