• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

best way to send mailings?

Sven L.

Regular Pleskian
Hello,

one of my customers would like to send mailings on a frequent basis.
around 5000 mails every 2-3 days

could anyone suggest a good way of doing this, without getting my server (and all my other customers on that server) blacklisted?

maybe the best would be with some local mailing software on their own network or a 3rd party service that specializes in this?

As long as the 5000 recipients have consented the campaigns or rather are opt-in mailling list users, then you will not be blacklisted ..
However, if your client is SPAM-MING or the recipients did not consent the emails, then be 100% sure that you will be blacklisted regardless of what you do on your server.

Those recipients registered on my customers website and did leave the "i wish to receive newsletters" option enabled.

also: if one of my customers sends massive email without me knowing it... is there currently any option in plesk to avoid something like that, to limit it and in which ways could it affect my server (from the blacklisting point of view)?

Last edited:
If all the recipients know what you are sending them and they are likely to read and respond to those emails then there is no problem in sending that many emails but if most of them don't read the emails or don't respond to the email then it is likely that the account will be blacklisted.

... there currently any option in plesk to avoid something like that, to limit it and in which ways could it affect my server (from the blacklisting point of view)?

If you are using Postfix MTA, then you can limit the number of emails that can be sent per account per hour ...

Even if you have a clean list, that number of emails, especially if they are going to just a few ISPs, will get your server rate limited or blacklisted. In general, I recommend that email be split along these lines:

Transactional Emails
These are shipping notifications, password resets, forum notices etc. Basically computer to user type emails where a reply is not expected.

Marketing/Newsletters
Mailings to any list even if they are not specifically marketing related. For example, if you ran a forum with 100K users, I would not recommend blasting these emails from your forum server it it sends the transactional emails.

Business Purposes
Business/personal correspondence.

Ideally, you want to use different IPs or delivery methods for each class of email. However, I often find that budget or other issues does not permit this preferred setup.

In these cases, evaluate the impact of combining any two channels.

In your case, I would not let a customer regularly send to 5000 subscribers through a shared hosting system. If the server is dedicated, if they send transactional emails through there, then I would advise them not to do so or risk getting blacklisted.

I would recommend they use a email service provider -- especially if this is on a shared host.

Plesk 11+ & Postfix
Note that on Plesk 11+ on Postfix, sites with a dedicated IP addresses send email from that IP. This may be a workaround for you to limit the damage if you must use your server for bulk emailing.

This is getting a bit dated, but if you do get blacklisted:
http://www.rackaid.com/blog/spam-blacklist-removal/

Back