1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Bind nameserver very unstable

Discussion in 'Plesk 9.x for Windows Issue, Fixes, How-To' started by BrunoR, Apr 27, 2010.

1. BrunoR

BrunoR Guest

After upgrading from Plesk 9.3 to Plesk 9.5.1, Bind has gone very unstable. It happens sometimes, when a user adds, changes or deletes a domain (and as a result Plesk tells Bind to restart in order to present the new zone) and Bind seems to not be able to restart well, indicating port already in use. It seems like bind is starting even before it has stopped, being unable to use the needed sockets.

Is there any solution for this? Maybe increase the restart delay of this service?

Event log:

(to all IP Addresses)

Thank You

2. IgorG

IgorG Forums Analyst Staff Member

24%
    Make sure that you have not enabled MSDNS and BIND. Plesk is shipped with BIND DNS server. I would suggest to switch your DNS Server to BIND in Server > Components Management > DNS Server and monitor server status after that. Switching from MSDNS to BIND server is supposed to put all the DNS zone records to named.conf (basic configuration file of BIND stored in %plesk_dir%\dns\etc) automatically. However, if this is not going to happen you may force it then:

3. BrunoR

BrunoR Guest

Hello IgorG

Thank you for your reply. I have always used BIND, so it was already activated (doubled checked now). That is not the problem.

4. shall

shall Regular Pleskian

57%
    I just experienced this same problem this morning. DNS was down for half an hour while I tried to figure out what was wrong. The biggest issue? Plesk reported DNS as "running" even though the service was not actually able to service any requests. If the service doesn't *work* it doesn't matter if the ExE is in memory!

5. MehmetG

MehmetG New Pleskian

85%
    I agree with BrunoR and shall. After upgrading Plesk 9.5 , DNS problems occured in our two main servers.
    Every day my customers calling me and complains DNS resolution problem. I retstart the Plesk DNS Service (BIND), then problem resolves. Next day repeating same problem again and again.

I think sheduling a command that restarts Bind for ex. every hour. Maybe this will be a temporary solution for this huge problem.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  6. VipinV

VipinV New Pleskian

85%
  7. MehmetG

MehmetG New Pleskian

85%
    I have upgraded the BIND to the latest version (9.7.2). After testing for a while, I will write here the result.

8. shall

shall Regular Pleskian

57%
    I upgraded to the current release of Bind the second time my DNS failed, a few days after the comment above. It's been almost two weeks now, and it hasn't had any other issues since. I followed the method at the link above, and created a batch file to help automate upgrades in the future: