• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Can a /var/qmail/ dir copied from foo.com work on foo.net?

TV871

New Pleskian
This is the problem I have right now.

I had a website running on plesk, let's call it old-domain.com with email [email protected] but the domain expired and I only saved the `/var/qmail` folder. Today, I bought another domain new-domain.com and I created [email protected] though the plesk control panel.

So, I replaced the folder john from /var/qmail/mailnames/new-domain.com/john with another folder called john (from the old site) but it doesn't work.

I only need to import the old email into my local email client like thunderbird email.

Is this possible? if not what are the ways around it?

nevermind, I just created email from plesk control panel, then went to /var/qmail/mailnames/new-domain.com/john I backed up john and replaced it with old email john and gave it permission 777 as

chmod 777 /var/qmail/mailnames/new-domain.com/john -R

now I get all the emails in thunderbird

I wouldn't recommend using 777 on mail directories and files, there is no reason for that and it can be a serious security issue. Don't leave it like this.

Create another mailbox and send a mail into it, compare the permissions and the ownership of the directories and files in both mailboxes and recreate the proper permissions and ownership.

Back