• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Can I receive emails from Plesk on server if I disable mail server?

zigojacko

Basic Pleskian
We're advising all clients that we host to use a third party provider for email (such as Google GSuite) so that we don't have to run mail servers.

I was wondering though, can system admin still receive email from Plesk on the server (things like resource usage notifications or updates) with the mail server disabled or does this need to be enabled and just disabled for domains/subscriptions specifically?

We're advising all clients that we host to use a third party provider for email (such as Google GSuite) so that we don't have to run mail servers.

I was wondering though, can system admin still receive email from Plesk on the server (things like resource usage notifications or updates) with the mail server disabled or does this need to be enabled and just disabled for domains/subscriptions specifically?

Yes, you can disable the mail server (the mail server itself represents customer POP3/IMAP mailboxes while the mail transport agent works separately). The only caveat to mention is that we've seen behavior where even though the mail service itself was turned off via the Plesk GUI (at an admin level, not a subscription level), outgoing mail generated by scripts still tried to use MX DNS records in zones even if DNS was set to external.

Back