• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Can not email other domain on the same server

S

StephanP

Hello Forum,

I've got a problem with my plesk 9.2.2 linux-server.

If I send an email to another domain hosted on the same plesk-server as my domain, I receive the following error back:

said: 550
sorry, no mailbox here by that name. (#5.7.17) (in reply to RCPT TO
command)

The problem occurs because the recepient has his own mail-server. The recepient domain has a different mx-record than the plesk-servers mx.

The recepient has only one dummy email-account in his plesk-setup for sending out emails with his own server (relayhost with smtp-auth).

If I deactivate the whole eMail-function in his account, I can send him mail without error, because plesk (qmail) looks for a mx-record. But he cannot send mails anymore, because he could not auth with the plesk server to relay his mails.

Is there any solution? for example how can I tell plesk to look up a mx-record before he look in the local recepients file... or to disable the email-function for incoming mail, without deactiviating the auth for a relayhost function?

Best regards

Stephan

Hello,

I don't think there is easy way to achieve this. You can try removing this domain from /var/qmail/control/rcpthosts - then it will send mail for this domain by checking MX records instead of delivering it locally but the problem is that Parallels Plesk will periodically re-add this domain to /var/qmail/control/rcpthosts so you can create a script that will remove this domain from /var/qmail/control/rcpthosts and run this script as a cron job.

Why don't you just disable Mail service for domains that use remote mail server in Parallels Plesk and tell end users to use remote mail server as SMTP/POP/IMAP in mail client preferences/scripts - in this case when he will send email it will be sent using remote server directly.

Hey Andrey,

the admin-manuel and the relay-options don't solves the problem, because the relaying works fine (I'm not using an open relay!).
If I open relaying for anonymous, I could disable our customers eMail-function in plesk and then using plesk-server as smartrelayhost without auth. This would solve the problem, but an open mail relay is not the best solution ... maybe :)

igors:
If I disable mail-service for the domains using an external mail-server, the other customers can send them mails without any problems. The customer is actually using his remote mail-server as smtp and pop! But the remote mail server has no static ip (dynamic ip by adsl) and has no reverse name for the ip, matching his dyndns hostname!

If it send mail directly without an smarthost, the mails will be blacklisted by all blacklists regarding his dynamic ip.

If I configure his remote server to relay the outgoing mails on the plesk-server, the mails would not be blacklisted, but the remote mail server could not relay on the plesk server, because the mail-service is disabled and a smtp-auth would not be able anymore.

The other way to delete the domain int the configfile /var/qmail/control/rcpthosts sound more logical ... Is there no "button" in plesk to activate an function like "this domain ist not in my recipient file" or someting else?
It's no problem to write a little script to filter the domains with a remote server, but it no nice solution ... it's someting like patchwork.

If there is a official solution in plesk, it would be the better way.

Best regards

Stephan

Some News .... I have to delete the domain in /var/qmail/control/virtualdomains
Deleting it in the file /var/qmail/control/rcpthosts is unnessesary.

Is there any prebuild function in plesk to manage the virtualdomain-entrys of each domain?

Last edited by a moderator:
This worked fine for me. It still is patchwork, but it works. My initial concern with this solution was that it would revert back since Plesk manages this file. To test, I added another domain to my server after removing the problem domain from /var/qmail/control/virtualdomains. The new domain was added to the file, but the old domain remained removed from it. So it looks like this could be a permenant solution although I contend that this is a Plesk bug that still needs to be resolved.

Just to give some background I am not a linux server expert, my role involves some server maintenance because of necessity. I believe the following is reported accurately but I do not mean to wrongly point the finger if what I am saying does not make sense!

I am suffering from this exact problem but my /var/qmail/control/virtualdomains file is empty so I cannot even do the hack that is detailed.

The strange thing with my problem is that I can send email from another domain on my server to the problem domain but it's specifically when a website on the problem domain sends enquiry forms through localhost to its own email address (hosted on another server) it is trying to deliver them locally and bouncing even though I have told Plesk that it does not handle email.

This seems like a bug with how the Plesk setup is trying to decide whether it is hosting email locally or not?

Any help much appreciated as this is quite a big problem as lots of our clients host their emails on other servers / on an exchange server and this problem is just going to plague me until it is resolved! I am going to scan my postfix configurations on my other servers (where I have never had this problem) and see if there is a setting to resolve this problem.

Same problem

I did not have this problem until upgrading to 10.x. In 9.x I was able to switch off mail services entirely for the domain and then set the mail server to only allow outgoing mail from my server. In 10 I can't switch it off except for aliases! Since we do not offer email accounts but do allow outgoing email from the websites - this is a HUGE problem.

so far it looks like editing var/qmail/control/virtualdomains is working. Thank you for that! Parallels - please fix this. Its crazy to assume everyone wants to offer email!

o longer working

This fix no longer appears to work and I am desperate for a solution. All mail to the same domain as the website bounces! NONE of my clients host their email with me - which means none of my clients can receive notifications sent by their website. I have turned off the POP/IMAP mail services. I have left qmail turned on. I deleted the hosts in var/qmail/control/virtualdomains. I also tried deleting the domains from var/qmail/control/rejectnonexist. Mail still bounces.

I have not upgraded to 11 because I'm afraid more things will break. Nor have I finished migrating all domains from Plesk 9 since the domains setup under Plesk 9 work fine. Its only those set up under Plesk 10.

I am really desperate for a solution - otherwise, I will have to set up a whole new server without Plesk. I haven't heard of these problems on CPanel . . .

if you have different mail server. Exsample: host in your server but mail adresse from 1und.1 mailserver
So is.. If you will mail send from your server webmail.xxxxx.com to from your host one mail adresse to [email protected], but if this [email protected] have other mailserver (exsaple 1und1) your webmail search this [email protected] from yours localserver. you must from your host+Mail there mail service deactive. then if you send mail to [email protected] webmail search direcly from 1und1 mailserver

Back