• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Can not send mail (smtp)

W

watsonfmly

Good day.

I always used webmail to send and receive e-mail (which always worked perfectly).

I just tried to use Outlook to send and receive e-mail, but when I test my account I get this message:

Send test e-mail message: The specified server was found, but there was no response from the server. Please verify that the port and SSL information is correect. To access these settings close this dialog, then click More Settings and click on the Advanced tab.

I read on some threads that Outlook may have problems, so I tried some other clients, and none of them work.

I thought that it may be because I am connecting through an internal network, so I connected from outside and got the same problem.

I tried the other things that I found in the forum, but nothing seems to be working.

I hope that this is something simple.

Thanks.

-Tad

I guess I should give more information :)

I am running Plesk 7.5 Reloaded
I am running RedHat Linux 9 (I think)

Thanks.

I don't want to make any assumptions as to what "other things that I found in the forum" you found and checked or tried, so I'll make a short list to begin with:

1. Personally I don't use Outlook's 'Test' button, it often either reports false positives or negatives, pretty unreliable IMO.

2. Server mail settings:
-Have you set SMTP Auth?
-Have you set long names only or short/long?

3. Outlook settings:
-Have you matched if SMTP Auth is required?
-Have you specified the login/username according to the server's short or long only option? (if you put the long name '[email protected]' it will always work regardless of the server setting)
-You did not checkmark the 'Secure Password Authentication', if so then un-checkmark it.

4. True test is to actually try to send a message with the account (instead of using the Test button), if it fails, what is the error code?

5. Telnet to your server's port 25 and 110 from an outside PC (not on your LAN) and see if you get any response at all.

6. From a SSH login, use netstat to see if the proper processes are 'listening' on port 25, 110

7. Check the server's /var/log/messages or /usr/local/psa/var/log/maillog to see if anything is logged for the attempted Outlook connection.

8. Was this a fresh OS and Plesk install, or was it an Update/Upgrade to (what version? 7.5.0, 7.5.1, 7.5.2, 7.5.3, 7.5.4 ??)

9. If it was an Update or Upgrade from an earlier Plesk version, have you gone through the entire updater log to see if there were *any* warnings or errors during the procedure (even if the end result said successful)

That should give you some directions to check for a beginning....

Back