• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Cannot add MSSQL to plesk

GiorgosI

Basic Pleskian
Plesk 10.2.0
Windows 2008 R2 Web Edition with SP1
MSSQL 2008 R2 Express edition
Plesk license supports MSSQL.

If I connect to Remote Desktop and open MSSQL Server Management Studio, I connect to MSSQL instance using as Servername '.\SQLEXPRESS'(without quotes).

If I go to Plesk -> Tools & Utilities -> Add Database Server and put at field 'Host name or IP address' the value '.\SQLEXPRESS' it outputs:
Error: Some fields are empty or contain an improper value.

and marks field 'Host name or IP address' red.

I have also tried 127.0.0.1 and 127.0.0.1\SQLEXPRESS but in that case I get:
Error: Test connection to the database server has failed because of network problems:
[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

and that's correct, because I get the same error if I try to connect from Management Studio using those values.

So, from Management Studio I can only connect using .\SQLEXPRESS but plesk does not accept that value. It asks only for IP or hostname.
How can I add my SQLEXPRESS instance in Plesk?

Thank you

Finally I found the solution.
I had to start the SQL Browser Service.
After that, I was able to connect using as hostname:
127.0.0.1\SQLEXPRESS

did it require different license

Hi ,
I just paid the unlimited domains license, but i found it doesn't include MS SQL server, so am asking is the SQL express also requires SQL server license or it comes with the bundle ?

You will need the Plesk Power pack if you wish to use any version MSSQL with Plesk.

Hi,

Can someone please tell me how to start SQL Browser Service --I am keep getting the following error when trying to add MS SQL Express R2 to Plesk 10.4:

Error: Test connection to the database server has failed because of network problems:
[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

Thank you!

James

Back