• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Cannot add MSSQL to plesk

GiorgosI

Basic Pleskian
Plesk 10.2.0
Windows 2008 R2 Web Edition with SP1
MSSQL 2008 R2 Express edition
Plesk license supports MSSQL.

If I connect to Remote Desktop and open MSSQL Server Management Studio, I connect to MSSQL instance using as Servername '.\SQLEXPRESS'(without quotes).

If I go to Plesk -> Tools & Utilities -> Add Database Server and put at field 'Host name or IP address' the value '.\SQLEXPRESS' it outputs:
Error: Some fields are empty or contain an improper value.

and marks field 'Host name or IP address' red.

I have also tried 127.0.0.1 and 127.0.0.1\SQLEXPRESS but in that case I get:
Error: Test connection to the database server has failed because of network problems:
[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

and that's correct, because I get the same error if I try to connect from Management Studio using those values.

So, from Management Studio I can only connect using .\SQLEXPRESS but plesk does not accept that value. It asks only for IP or hostname.
How can I add my SQLEXPRESS instance in Plesk?

Thank you

Finally I found the solution.
I had to start the SQL Browser Service.
After that, I was able to connect using as hostname:
127.0.0.1\SQLEXPRESS

did it require different license

Hi ,
I just paid the unlimited domains license, but i found it doesn't include MS SQL server, so am asking is the SQL express also requires SQL server license or it comes with the bundle ?

You will need the Plesk Power pack if you wish to use any version MSSQL with Plesk.

Hi,

Can someone please tell me how to start SQL Browser Service --I am keep getting the following error when trying to add MS SQL Express R2 to Plesk 10.4:

Error: Test connection to the database server has failed because of network problems:
[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

Thank you!

James

Back