• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Cannot create subdomain

TomFluent

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Will add later
Plesk version and microupdate number
18.0.58 #2
When I try to add a Subdomain to my Plesk system ( Plesk Version 18.0.58 Update #2) I am getting the error "Warning: Unable to create a subdomain: There are no domains available"
when I click on "Add Subdomain" in the domains screen.

In the Service Plan for the domain I am trying to add the Subdomains = unlimited, however I click on the the Add a Subdomain option outside of any domain / subscription screen so don't see how this is related anyway

Please can any one advise how I am able to add a subdomain? I am doing this as the administrator of the Plesk server

Is the subscription owned by "admin" or do you try to add the subdomain under a reseller account? The reseller account could limit the number of domains and subdomains, too.

I'm trying to add the sub-domain when logged in using the reseller account credentials. Where would I see the limit?

When you're logged in as a reseller make sure to use the "Service Provider view". (To switch to the service provider view go to Tools > Interface Preferences and select the Service Provider view).

When using the Service Prover View click Home. On the home dashboard click the "My resources and permissions overview" link to view your resource limits.

Schermafbeelding 2024-02-18 145702.png

When you're logged in as a reseller make sure to use the "Service Provider view". (To switch to the service provider view go to Tools > Interface Preferences and select the Service Provider view).

When using the Service Prover View click Home. On the home dashboard click the "My resources and permissions overview" link to view your resource limits.

View attachment 25531
I see slightly different from the terminology you use - see screen shots

Attachments

• Interface Management.png
    Interface Management.png
    95.8 KB · Views: 6
  • System Overview.png
    System Overview.png
    56.3 KB · Views: 6
Based on your screen shots I can tell that you are not logged in as an reseller, but as user with administrator privileges. Having full access to administer Plesk. Which is confusing since you posted you're using a reseller account.
I'm trying to add the sub-domain when logged in using the reseller account credentials. Where would I see the limit?

So if you are actually trying to add a sub domain when logged with reseller credentials, you can follow the steps in my previous post to view the resource limits of the reseller account. Or as an administrator simply click Resellers, click on the reseller name in the list, and next click on the View More Statistics link on the right hand side menu. If there is no limit for sub domain (or the limit isn't reached yet) then there could be a limit in either the service plan or in the subscription too.

If you are not using a reseller account then you'll have to find out what resources limits are set for the subscription. Which you can view by going to Subscription, clicking on the domain of the subscription and next click the Account tab.

Based on your screen shots I can tell that you are not logged in as an reseller, but as user with administrator privileges. Having full access to administer Plesk. Which is confusing since you posted you're using a reseller account.

So if you are actually trying to add a sub domain when logged with reseller credentials, you can follow the steps in my previous post to view the resource limits of the reseller account. Or as an administrator simply click Resellers, click on the reseller name in the list, and next click on the View More Statistics link on the right hand side menu. If there is no limit for sub domain (or the limit isn't reached yet) then there could be a limit in either the service plan or in the subscription too.

If you are not using a reseller account then you'll have to find out what resources limits are set for the subscription. Which you can view by going to Subscription, clicking on the domain of the subscription and next click the Account tab.
OK I have worked out what the issue is. I only use this server for DNS management (Hosting Type for all subscriptions is "No web hosting" or "forwarding" and it appears that you can only add a subdomain where a subscription / domain has hosting. I have a different server for the very small number if sites I host.

What I am trying to do is what is illustrated here DNS Zones for Subdomains which is exactly what it says "you want to decrease the number of DNS records in the parent domains’ DNS zones by moving the records belonging to subdomains to separate DNS zones"

Even if I followed the instructions detailed in the help article it looks like I would still have to have created a subdomain in the first place.

Is there a way of achieving what I am trying to do which is simply create a subdomain for DNS purposes without having hosting and without doing command line stuff?

You could consider adding the sub domain as an actual domain (using the add domain button), in the same way you've added all other domain. That way a sub domain will get it's own DNS zone too.

Last edited:
Back