• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

can't reach NS2 subdomain?

michaellunsford

Regular Pleskian
Okay, I created two subdomains the other day, NS1 and NS2. I could ping them yesterday, but now things are getting nutty.

Here's what my DNS zone template page shows for the entries

<domain>. NS ns.<domain>.
<domain>. NS ns1.<domain>.
<domain>. NS ns2.<domain>.
ns.<domain>. A <ip>
ns1.<domain>. A <ip>
ns2.<domain>. A <ip>

During the course of compiling this message, I have been logged into the server via SSH. When I started this message, I could ping NS1, but not NS2. Now I can' t ping NS1 or NS2. Oddly enough, network-tools.com can still ping NS1, but not NS2.

Add to the confusion? Sure. webmail.<domain> wasn't working earlier. I ran the updater for horde, and gracefully restarted apache, and it started working again. Yes, I've rebooted the server, ran apachectl restart, and service httpd restart several times each.

What could it be?

Are you sure all those NS's have the same zone information? If NS1 and NS2 are slaves of NS, make sure they have the zone correctly configured in named.conf, otherwise they will ignore any notify from bind.

Also, did you update and register the nameservers for the domain at the registry?

Adding NS's isn't as simple as updating the zone in the primary DNS server..

I don't see any subdomains in named.conf.

i did add ns, ns1, and ns2 at domain registration. ns works all the time, ns1 works sometimes, and ns2 works never.

what's weird is they don't even work when I'm logged into the machine. I do a ping from the server that they reside on, and sometimes ns1 works, sometimes it doesn't. again, ns2 never works -- even logged into the machine that houses it.

Still no change. Currently ns1 and ns2 are unpingable from ssh -- so it's still an internal configuration problem.

Is the DNS Zone Template Page the only place I am required to add subdomains?

Back