• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Can't use IPv6 address for backups

Webbenny

Basic Pleskian
Hello!

I've tried to use a IPv6 address as an FTP Backup location. But it seems that Plesk can not handle IPv6 addresses nor resolve domain names with only a aaaa-record (and no a-record).
I there any workaround for this issue? Is it planed to fix this in future, because Plesk already supports IPv6 as web/mail/ftp server?

Regards Benny

Hi Webbenny,

for further investigations, you could consider to post the corresponding log : /usr/local/psa/PMM/logs/pmmcli.log

Thanks for your reply. I've tailed (tail -f) the pmmcli.log. And nothing was logged, if I changed the Hostname. It seems that the file is only written if I leave the screen but I can't leave because of the following errors:
In case I entered the IPv6 address I got: Server name is invalid.
In case I enetered the FQDN (which has only an AAAA record): Using the local Plesk's FTP server as a remote storage is prohibited. Please specify a remote location.
So I conclude that Plesk doesn't sopport ivp6 backup locations. This is very sad, because more and more infrastructures are running with ipv6...
Is that IPv6 support on your roadmap?

Hi Webbenny,

If you desire further investigations, you should consider to post the IPv6 ( or the corresponding FQDN of the IPv6 ) and as well the Plesk-Server-IP, from which you would like to backup from. ;)

So I wont post my productive space, I've setup a test scenario.
My FTP-Server IP is: [2a02:8071:4100::5164:7a8d:33cb:c67] or ipv6.38i.de

From the bash of my Plesk-Server this works (with lftp, same with filezilla):
Code:
lftp :~> open ftp://ftpuser:[email protected]
lftp [email protected]:~> set ssl:verify-certificate false
lftp [email protected]:/> get php7ts.dll
8638464 bytes transferred in 54 seconds (156.2K/s)
lftp [email protected]:/>

You could use the credentials:

User: ftpuser
Password: OQJBrtA8PgVbNnijZ4z2

User is read-only.

Hi Webbenny,

DNS Traversal
Action
Host Zone
Starting at a.root-servers.net. [2001:503:ba3e::2:30] .
Referred to sec1.apnic.net. [2001:dc0:2001:a:4608::59] ip6.arpa
Referred to ns3.afrinic.net. [2001:500:14:6100:ad::1] 0.a.2.ip6.arpa
Referred to dns02.kabelbw.de. [2a02:8070:0:201:82:212:62:58] 1.7.0.8.2.0.a.2.ip6.arpa

DNS Results
dns02.kabelbw.de. [2a02:8070:0:201:82:212:62:58] says:

Name Type TTL Value
No name server returned any records for this request

=> DNS Lookup for 2a02

There is no rDNS - entry for "2a02:8071:4100::5164:7a8d:33cb:c67", which makes it impossible to use the IPv6 over the Plesk Control Panel as remote backup repository.

... and using "ipv6.38i.de" as IPv4, results in:
Searching for ipv6.38i.de. A record at C.ROOT-SERVERS.NET. [192.33.4.12] ...took 1 ms
Searching for ipv6.38i.de. A record at z.nic.de. [194.246.96.1] ...took 1 ms
Searching for ipv6.38i.de. A record at ns1.antagus.de. [195.191.92.10] ...took 9 ms

Nameserver ns1.antagus.de. reports: No such host ipv6.38i.de

Hi UFHH01,

I'm wondering for which purpose a rdns should be required (you don't need to have this for IPv4 addresses, too)? This is just a usual FTP connection..
Yes, ipv6.38i.de has no A-Record, only a AAAA-Record which is usual (look at ipv6.google.com) for ipv6 only domains.
Is there any offical statement that plesk (not) supports ipv6 FTP-Backups?

Best regards, webbenny

Hi Webbenny,

the desired IPv6 - address doesn't resolve anywhere, as you can see. While your FQDN "38i.de" resolves to "92.51.146.68" ( which is a server IP from Hetzner ). As you noticed, there is no reverse entry "ipv6.38i.de", which possibly points to your IPv6 "2a02:8071:4100::5164:7a8d:33cb:c67" , which forces Plesk to resolve to your server IP => Result: Plesk can't resolve the IPv6 and uses the FQDN instead, which points to its own server IP and you see: Using the local Plesk's FTP server as a remote storage is prohibited. Please specify a remote location. ;)

A test file couldn't be uploaded as well to your IPv6 - system: => FTP-Server-Verbindungstest

Hi UFHH01,

the desired IPv6 - address doesn't resolve anywhere, as you can see.
Thats the point. Why should my IPv6 address resolve anywhere? Why should a direct IP--IP connection without any DNS lookups not be possible for Plesk?

While your FQDN "38i.de" resolves to "92.51.146.68" ( which is a server IP from Hetzner ).
This should not be a problem, this entry is only valid for the upper level domain (38i.de) I used the subdomain ipv6.38i.de. If Plesk lookups up the the next higher domain level, this is a bad technical practice an indicator that it doesn't support IPv6 on Backup locations...

As you noticed, there is no reverse entry "ipv6.38i.de", which possibly points to your IPv6 "2a02:8071:4100::5164:7a8d:33cb:c67" ,
Why is such a record required? rDNS records are required for mailing check scenarios, but not for "client like" connection from plesk to a FTP Server. All I need here is a AAAA-Record with a IPv6 IP.
Plesk musst resolve forward (name -> IP).

A test file couldn't be uploaded as well to your IPv6 - system: => FTP-Server-Verbindungstest
Yes it's temporary read only, I have changed this. But this has no impact on the Plesk connection problems.

The technical question is, why is it a problem for Plesk, if all other clients can handle this? If there is really any trouble with DNS other connections can not work, too...
I assume that the field value check or other checks blocks my IPv6 entry...?! :(

Short information: Same scenario with IPv4 works without problems (no rdns set etc.). Is anybody from the plesk team able to give a comment to the ipv6 backup topic?

Is anybody from the plesk team able to give a comment to the ipv6 backup topic?
We have the corresponding bugreport PPP-17519 about impossibility to use IPv6 address for ftp backup repository. Fix is planned for one of nearest Plesk major updates.

Hi, I have also problems to connect to an IPv6-Backup-Storage. I tried to insert the IPv6, [IPv6] and a hostname which pointed to the IPv6 (AAAA-Record, but without A-Record). What can I do? Is PPP-17519 fixed?

Hello, any news on this issue? A have a similar problem: a domain with a subdomain with only an aaaa-record. I set up backups to this subdomain and the reaction to this is on one server
"Using the local Plesk's FTP server as a remote storage is prohibited. Please specify a remote location".
On another server the same domain name gets accepted but the backup fails with
"Unable to create the remote backup: Transport error: unable to check directory existence: Curl error: (19) FTP: couldn't retrieve (RETR failed) the specified file: Last FTP request: NLST Last FTP response: 550 No files found".
An interesting fact: if the given directory doesn't exist on my backup server, the remote storage setup on the second server doesn't accept the settings accordingly - so the setup can read the server but the backup process seemingly wants to rely on ipv4 which isn't there.
In less than 2 months we can celebrate the 5-year-anniversary of this issue, yay!

Back