• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Cent OS

W

whitesquare

Hi

We've recently just got a dedicated server and purchased Plesk to run on it. We opted to install Cent OS as the operating system on the server, as it's supposed to be completely compatible with RedHat Enterprise Server 3. Now, when I try to run the auto-install for Plesk I get the following error:

[root@blue setup]# ./psa_installer_v2.0.0_build75041129.17_os_RedHat_el3_i686
You are using RedHat Linux 3.3, but autoinstaller
was compiled for RedHat Enterprise Linux 3.
Exiting autoinstaller.

Anyone know how to get around this? Either force the auto-installer to run anyway (as everything it installs should be compatible with Cent OS) or convince Cent it really is RedHat Linux 3.3 ?

Many thanks,
Lyndon

Another post

There is another post in the forums that has how to do this.
It is simple just change the contents of the file /etc/red-hatrelease ( I may not remember the name excatly ) to the contents of the equivelent RH. The content of that file is in the post search.

You can change it to:

Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 3 (Taroon Update 4)

...or simply use the RPM's (easier).

CentOS

How are you giving along with CentOS ? I installed it as a testing server and its running fine.

How's Plesk beahaving with CentOS ? is there any other guys out there running CentOS ?

Would you think its worth for Sw-Soft to make a distribuition for CentOS , or officially support it from the RHEL version ?

For me it seams a very nice alternative.

Regards
Joao Correia

CentOS works fine, I've got loads of Plesk servers running it. The only unsupported feature is the auto-updater, which can be 'fixed' as above. It would be nice for SWsoft to allow it to detect the CentOS redhat-release string as it can't take much effort to add support, but it's low on my feature-requests. :)

auto-update ...

Auto-update is updating Plesk trough Plesk ? I allways update using RPM ! Is that the only problem ?

Best regards
Joao Correia

Yup - everything else works fine. I use RPM's too so I don't have any problems with it at all.

what is the big difference from cent os vs 3es? Not quite into this... I'm in the midle of deciding which os to run on my servers, any suggestions? Cent os, fedora, rh9 ?

How often do they release security updates etc for cent os.. as often as 3es?

CentOS is just a free community-developed version of RHEL3. It's just as good, just a couple of days behind RHEL3's updates. I'd highly recommend it if you don't have the £££$$$ for RHEL3.

so, insted of paying $349 for 3es, you can use CentOs and it is "exactly" the same as 3es? And it is updated with security updates etc... that is quite nice :)

It is easy to use yum with it? for updates I mean?

Say there is a new major release.. say I where running centos3.3, and 3.4 was released...could I "live-update" it with yum?

Yeah, all correct. The updates are based on redhat's SRPM's, rebuilt from source by the CentOS guys when redhat release them, then pushed out to the mirrors. They remove all the redhat-licensed bits, and replace them with CentOS-branded equivalents.

There is another post in the forums that has how to do this.
It is simple just change the contents of the file /etc/red-hatrelease ( I may not remember the name excatly ) to the contents of the equivelent RH. The content of that file is in the post search.

You can change it to:

My /etc/red-hatrelease file is totally blank so could you please give me the exact text to put in this file on centos to use the plesk autoupdater or is this the complete line?

I put this file, Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 3 (Taroon Update 4) listed as is in the /etc/redhat-release file.

I don't get the error about the different versions of redhat but when I try to use the updater it says it is starting and will send me an email but I never get the email and the packages don't update.

Please advise.

Thanks.

I have the following error:

error: Failed dependencies:
libdns.so.8 is needed by bind-9.2.2-21
libisc.so.4 is needed by bind-9.2.2-21

Im a bit new to linux, so who can help me :)

check that you've installed bind, and if you post please add more info.. not easy to help unless you give good info :)

Bind 9-2.2.2.1 Lib Conflicts

Guys I hope you can help me here too, as I'm having the same problem with RedHat RL ES 3. I didn't install Bind and was using the Auto-Installer from Plesk and end up with Bind Lib Conflicts and Dependencies. Oh by the way it was a new Installation. Hope you guys can shade some light on this topic.

Thanks In Advance.

Back