• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question CentOS, Debian or AlmaLinux

Frostbolt

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
-
Plesk version and microupdate number
We're exploring our options to move away from CentOS due to EOL. I'm doing some performance tests on my new dedicated server running PHP 8.1 and comparing CentOS 7.9, Debian 10 and AlmaLinux 8.6.

My first tests show that CentOS is a lot quicker handling regular PHP functions than the other two OS.

Does anyone have experience with these different operating systems? We don't really care much which one we pick, as long as it performs well.

CentOS - OLD - i dont use anymore
Ubuntu 20/22 - Some limitations but faster and responsive actions
Almalinux - slower but stable, some specific issues but great OS
Debian 11 - like a ubuntu but minor issues and more stable - debian 11 its fabulous but limitations in plesk make me use almalinux
Debian 10 - EoL, i no use anymore
Cloudlinux - i dont use anymore

to my conclusion i choose almalinux 8.6 or ubuntu 20

Thank you for your reply!

We've did some more tests. These are our results, all on the same dedicated server (Intel Xeon E3-1245v2, 32 GB DDR3, 2 x SSD), running php 8.1. We used Plesk Obsidian 18.0.44 without any optimalisations. For the PHP benchmark we used the "PHP Benchmark Performance Script" from Alessandro Torrisi. The request was just a regular ajax request, performing some simple queries and returning some data.

Operating SystemPHP benchmark (quicker is better)Request (quicker is better)
Centos 7.90.679 sec.~94-100ms
AlmaLinux 8.60.928 sec.~97ms
Debian 100.93 sec.~110ms
Ubuntu 221.889 sec.~102ms

Based on these results, we are moving to AlmaLinux. Please note that these tests were performed at different times, without scientific methods. Results may vary according to hardware, network, optimalisations and (future) updates.

Back