• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question CentOS is shifting focus from CentOS 8 to CentOS Stream

cpanel has just announced they will not support CentOS Stream, which is no surprise cause no one wants things breaking on them in the middle.

Instead cpanel said they will support the cloud linux RHEL 8 fork.

It would be nice if Plesk makes an official statement too so people can make long term plans...

Guys, the CentOS stream announcement is only a few days young. Plesk and cPanel are owned by the same investor. I am sure that Plesk will also react to the announcement soon. They are currently evaluating what to do as you can tell by the poll they have offered in this thread. Let's be patient for a few more days. The world will keep turning, and considering the huge number of installations currently running on CentOS 7.x, which will be end of life in 2024, and many users on CentOS 8.x, Plesk will most definitely make a decision on this topic.

Plesk is aware of this announcement, and the plans regarding the CentOS Stream support are currently discussed by the R&D team.
In the meantime, Plesk will continue supporting both CentOS 7 and CentOS 8 until their planned end of life dates:

CentOS 7: June 2024
CentOS 8: December 2021

Plesk is aware of this announcement, and the plans regarding the CentOS Stream support are currently discussed by the R&D team.
In the meantime, Plesk will continue supporting both CentOS 7 and CentOS 8 until their planned end of life dates:

CentOS 7: June 2024
CentOS 8: December 2021

Do you think we'll get an answer by end of the month? Or it won't be until sometime in 2021?

Am I missing something here?

Running CentOS8 Stream in production is not advisable, it will be unstable.

Stream will be upstream of RHEL, in essence it will be a test bed for RH. If you want to run a test OS in production that's your call.

If you are looking for stability, I would cosider Debian, Ubuntu, OpenSuse etc. Oracle Linux looks like a good option at the moment, but you will be subjected to Oracles whims which may place you in this position again. Rocky linux its gathering momentum as we speak and may be an option once the dust settles.

For now we have a year to consider options.

Last edited:
The last few weeks I've been running tests with CentOS 8 so I could install it on a new server. The tests came out fine and I was happy because CentOS 8 would be supported until 2029. And now this ... what a huuuuge dissapointment!

Question is what should I do with the new server? I don't like the concept of CentOS 8 Stream where I become some sort of a beta tester.

So what are the options? Which OS should I install? What would you advice?

1) Install CentOS 8 anyhow and hope there will be a fork (maybe Rocky Linux) available end of 2021? If so, will it be easy to switch, or would I have to do a clean install meaning I have to install the new fork and then re-install all of the websites?

2) Install CentOS 7. This feels as if I would install old/outdated software, but at least there is support until 2024.

3) Switch to a different OS (Ubuntu, Fedora)?

Can anyone give me some advice what would be the best option and why?

As far as I understand the interview, the fork can be installed with a single command and will not affect existing installations otherwise than that future updates are coming from a different repository. I'd wait until summer 2021 to make a decision how to proceed.

@Peter Debik is right suggesting that we wait, but for those of us building new servers now, we can't wait until next summer. As a CentOS user for 20+ years and a Plesk user for 8+ years, it saddens and frustrates me that we're now currently looking at other OS's and (shudder) panels. Waiting to see what happens unfortunately isn't an option we can afford.

Reactions: mow
@Peter Debik is right suggesting that we wait, but for those of us building new servers now, we can't wait until next summer. As a CentOS user for 20+ years and a Plesk user for 8+ years, it saddens and frustrates me that we're now currently looking at other OS's and (shudder) panels. Waiting to see what happens unfortunately isn't an option we can afford.

Unfortunately the two biggest players are both owned by the same parent entity (WebPros) but as Peter Debik astutely pointed out, there isn't enough information as of yet to commit to any one direction. On a personal note, it would be interesting to see Rocky Linux evolve into a MariaDB-esq style project with long-term support and commitment!

@Peter Debik

>> I'd wait until summer 2021 to make a decision how to proceed.

Thanks for your reply. I have to install this new server very soon. I will start in a few days, so I have to make a decision right now. If it is really as easy as " the fork can be installed with a single command and will not affect existing installations otherwise than that future updates are coming from a different repository" then I would say it is safe to install CentOS 8 for now, and make the switch to Rocky Linux whenever it becomes available. So then I'll just have to hope that Rocky Linux will proceed and be ready before the end of 2021. But there is of course no guarantee.

Plesk still has on supported OS list both centOS 7 & 8. Selecting centos7 (if someone won't change his ecosystem) for new server i think is more wise selection

@bazzil

That is my question ... what is the more wise solution? CentOS 8 is newer and has for example dnf system to install and upgrade. If I can easily switch in the summer to Rocky Linux then I will stuck to CentOS 8 for now. But what is the probability that Rocky Linux will be finished in time? I don't know :(

@bazzil

That is my question ... what is the more wise solution? CentOS 8 is newer and has for example dnf system to install and upgrade. If I can easily switch in the summer to Rocky Linux then I will stuck to CentOS 8 for now. But what is the probability that Rocky Linux will be finished in time? I don't know :(
I would go for Centos 8 for the moment.
Centos 7 simply does not worth the effort, too old.

And will wait everybody for Facebook's decision, they are the biggest consumers of Centos 8 .

@bazzil

It's a headache. I have decide to wait all the 2021. Now i'm using centOS 7 and I don't want to leave from RHEL ecosystem. Propably i will turn to centOS stream or to a paid version of RHEL. My plan B is to move to debian.

I would go for Centos 8 for the moment.
Centos 7 simply does not worth the effort, too old.

And will wait everybody for Facebook's decision, they are the biggest consumers of Centos 8 .
Facebook's decision!!!! This is a coloseum. I think many people will by effected from this. I mean for what they will choice for the next OS

@Peter Debik

What do you think is the best choice for installing a new server? Go for CentOS 8 and hope that Rocky Linux will become available soon (beofre end 2021)?

Dont count on Rocky Linux, It will take few years to prove their stability and security, I would not install Rocky Linux in production environment for the next 2-3 years.
I Was thinking about waiting until 2023 for Rocky Linux,
I am not sure what to do with CentOS 7 servers, I can't be sure if it the LTS will really last until 2024...

Also, As far as I understand, Centos Stream will be less stable, as it is a stage between Fedora and RHEL. therefore, it will not be stable as Centos LTS.
I estimate, like Fedora, Centos Stream will not have LTS version.
( See FAQ: CentOS Stream Updates )

Then what to do now with new servers?

- Install CentOS 8 anyhow and hope for the best?
- Install CentOS 7 and have old server software?
- Switch to something else ... Ubuntu???

Can someone give some good advice with pros and cons maybe?

Back