• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question CentOS is shifting focus from CentOS 8 to CentOS Stream

Why do you say CentOS 7 is "old software" its a current release and supported until 2024.

Its still early and there are alot of changes happening so I think Plesk are being smart and not committing to any one path just yet.

We are not changing anything in current politics yet - we support what we support before the official EOL comes.
Regarding CentOS8 alternatives - we will watch how the industry reacts to alternatives (Centos Stream / CL community, etc) and make decisions on the actual behaviour in the market (so far only intentions are declared by users and suppliers).

@IgorG

What would you suggest in the current situation? AlmaLinux claims "AlmaLinux will be a 1:1 binary compatible fork of RHEL, which means that your applications and services will remain compatible."

If (and only if) what they claim seems true and AlmaLinux will be a 1:1 binary compatible fork of RHEL, would that imply that Plesk would work on it without any problems? (or is a 1:1 binary compatible fork of RHEL not a guarantee for Plesk to work flawlessly)

I need to install a new server. For now I would like to stick to CentOS. Would you advise me to try CentOS 8 (assuming there will be an alternative before the end of the year which will work fine with Plesk) or would you advise me to use CentOS 7 (because you are not sure there will be a working alternative before the end of the year)?

We are not changing anything in current politics yet - we support what we support before the official EOL comes.
Regarding CentOS8 alternatives - we will watch how the industry reacts to alternatives (Centos Stream / CL community, etc) and make decisions on the actual behaviour in the market (so far only intentions are declared by users and suppliers).

Good to hear - I'm a happy camper if I'm supported until my own EOL :)

What would you suggest in the current situation? AlmaLinux claims "AlmaLinux will be a 1:1 binary compatible fork of RHEL, which means that your applications and services will remain compatible."

If (and only if) what they claim seems true and AlmaLinux will be a 1:1 binary compatible fork of RHEL, would that imply that Plesk would work on it without any problems? (or is a 1:1 binary compatible fork of RHEL not a guarantee for Plesk to work flawlessly)

I need to install a new server. For now I would like to stick to CentOS. Would you advise me to try CentOS 8 (assuming there will be an alternative before the end of the year which will work fine with Plesk) or would you advise me to use CentOS 7 (because you are not sure there will be a working alternative before the end of the year)?
I cannot advise you to use AlmaLinux because I have no results of testing the correct operation of Plesk on this operating system. I would advise you to use CentOS7 now because of the longer support period. For example, we continue to use CentOS7 for our new images in cloud services like Amazon AWS, Google Cloud, Digital Ocean, Microsoft Azure, etc.

@IgorG - I guess I don't need to ask if Plesk will Support VzLinux / Virtuozzo Linux 8 OS, or? (as currently only VzLinux 7 is listed in the Docs? --> Software Requirements for Plesk Obsidian)

VzLinux / Virtuozzo Linux (RHEL based as Centos) Information: Do You Have an Alternative to CentOS? Virtuozzo Has You Covered With VzLinux!

We have planed to migrate all our Centos 8 Servers to VzLinux 8 as soon as their Migrator is released ...
I also just got confirmation from Virtuozzo that there will be a Migrator from Centos 7 --> VzLinux 8 too ... :)

bye from snowy Austria
Andreas S.

I guess I don't need to ask if Plesk will Support VzLinux / Virtuozzo Linux 8 OS
Yes, indeed, the question of which forks RHEL8/CentOS Stream we will support is still open and is in the process of research and discussion.

We are currently using CloudLinux 7 with Plesk and were planning on upgrading to CentOS 8 in the next few months.

However, due to the change of circumstances, we have decided to choose Ubuntu 20.04 LTS since it is a similar long-term/stable OS with a predictable release schedule/support like CentOS used to be, and is also supported by Plesk.

This is the safest option, since we aren't dependent on yum/RHEL and waiting for Rocky Linux or AlmaLinux which would be the main/biggest CentOS forks could take a long time and therefore the timeframe of their release plus the timeframe of support by other vendors like Plesk is uncertain.

Ubuntu 20.04 LTS has standard support until 2025 which would be around the time we would possibly have another hardware/OS upgrade anyway.
Even if we decide to delay the upgrade after 2025, there's always the option to pay Canonical for Extended Security Maintenance (ESM) every year after that until up to 2030 which is even longer than the previously supported date of CentOS that was 2029.

cPanel has also announced that they are currently working on adding support for Ubuntu LTS due to the centOS change - which is reassuring, as they never supported Ubuntu in the past - so having the largest player in the web hosting panel game backing Ubuntu is also very reassuring.

Last edited:
if Plesk will Support VzLinux / Virtuozzo Linux 8 OS
It isn't out yet, the Virtuozzo blog says Q1 2021.

If there is no supported path with Plesk to upgrade from CentOS 7 to 8 (Resolved - upgrade from centos 7 to centos 8 supported ?) then it seems like even though we (in this thread) are "used to" CentOS it might be time to consider other distributions like Debian or Ubuntu that are supported by Plesk and can be upgraded (Dist-Upgrade Support). It seems to me a server upgrade path would avoid future server migrations, which would otherwise be required at least every 10 years.

Otherwise with any of the new RHEL forks I would expect Plesk is going to have to take some time to test on them, and perhaps pick one if they don't want to support several. I would think that would take at least a few weeks, after they get their hands on actual forks' code.

Last edited:
Having run a VM test of Rocky Linux Beta with Plesk installation (Had to fool installer that the OS was CentOS 8) I'm confident that it will be easy for Plesk to support Rocky Linux ?!
I really hope so as I have recently migrated my VPS to CentOS 8 with Plesk ... coming from a previous Webmin environment which I absolutely loved, Plesk presented a bit of a learning curve as it was more restrictive in what I could do ... I would prefer now to stick with Plesk.
My road map is; eventually Rocky Linux, hopefully with Plesk ... but if not, back to Webmin.

@SpacedOut

No need to wait anymore. There already is a fine replacement for CentOS 8: AlmaLinux

Check the link:

It is supported for new installations, but it is not yet supported as a drop-in replacement.

VZLinux 8 was also released last week which should be a pretty good replacement for Centos as they got years of experience on this Topic ... ;-)

Check Posting: Input - Virtuozzo Linux (VZLinux) 8 - Supported OS

Ready-to-use conversion utility for simple and on-the-fly conversion from CentOS 8 to VzLinux 8 plus the possibility to convert CentOS 7 directly to VzLinux 8.

If Plesk can test and support the new Centos Stream before the end of 2021... that will be great... so we can all switch our Centos 8 servers to Stream and can see the new features... and stay up to date...

If Plesk can test and support the new Centos Stream before the end of 2021... that will be great... so we can all switch our Centos 8 servers to Stream and can see the new features... and stay up to date...
That is exactly what everyone does not want! Stream has new features that have not yet been tested thoroughly. It could break your system. That is why everyone is looking for an alternative to CentOS 8. No-one wants the Stream-version because it is a test garden.

• Haha
Reactions: oMG
Back