• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

Question CentOS to Alma conversion - virtualization

Franco

Regular Pleskian
Server operating system version
CentOs 7.9
Plesk version and microupdate number
18.0.62 Update #1
Hello,
I am looking at the in place upgrade to AlmaLinux from my CentOs 7.9 VPS. My selinux status is enabled. I read that containers and virtualization are not supported by the Plesk created script. When I check with the systemd-detect-virt I obtain "microsoft". What does that mean? Can I still go ahead and try the migration?

Many thanks to all who help me here.
Franco

Hi there, virtual servers (VMs) are supported for the centos2alma conversion. If systemd-detect-virt outputs "microsoft", it means that your server is running on a Microsoft virtualization (Hyper-V) platform. Should not cause any issues.

Having SElinux enabled is no problem either. But it makes the whole conversion process take a lot longer, as files needs to be re-labeled. (Which can take a long time, depending on how many files you have on your server).

In any case, make a server full snapshot (if you can) before you start.

That's excellent, thanks a lot. One more question, if I may: apparently Almalinux does not support php7, but, unfortunately, one of my wordpress websites still runs on it because of an old theme (cherry framework 3, no longer supported) and I cannot migrate it yet to another theme.

However, I don't get why this is a problem: I thought the php version was managed by Plesk and Linux is relatively independent of php, or am I missing something?

Php 7.0 or lower isn't supported, but PHP 7.1 and higher are still supported. Do you need PHP 7.0 specifically?

Oh well, luckily it can run 7.4, although with some issues/warnings. I can give it a try then. Fingers crossed...

Back