• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

CentOS Upgrade

darealhamsta

New Pleskian
I've a fully up to date Plesk machine running on CentOS 5.10 and I'd like to get it upgraded to v6 to avoid a jump two major versions to v7. I have physical access to the machine, so I can run the upgrade from a DVD.

Is upgrading to CentOS 6 liable to cause problems with Plesk, or is it best avoided? Am I liable to run into compatibility problems with individual packages?

If it will be ok, are there any special measures I should take, and can I jump straight to 6.5 or would I be better off upgrading to 6.0 and letting CentOS handle the upgrade to 6.5 itself?

V6 is supported by plesk and as we ran our upgrade we did not experience any problems. But well, (anything could happen) just run an upgrade at the least traffic time on your server just in-case you have to spend more hours troubleshooting ...

I've a fully up to date Plesk machine running on CentOS 5.10 and I'd like to get it upgraded to v6 to avoid a jump two major versions to v7. I have physical access to the machine, so I can run the upgrade from a DVD.

Is upgrading to CentOS 6 liable to cause problems with Plesk, or is it best avoided? Am I liable to run into compatibility problems with individual packages?

If it will be ok, are there any special measures I should take, and can I jump straight to 6.5 or would I be better off upgrading to 6.0 and letting CentOS handle the upgrade to 6.5 itself?

Please, look carefully into CentOS and RedHat release notes and documentation:
http://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS6.5
https://access.redhat.com/site/docu...6/html/Installation_Guide/ch-upgrade-x86.html

Similar to the practice of the upstream vendor, there is no supported path to 'upgrade' an installation of a prior major CentOS release (presently CentOS 5) to a new major release.

We strongly do not recomend you to do so. Parallels Plesk Panel does not support such scenarios.
The migration way is preferable.

Back