• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

certain email boxes don't work

W

WebhostPeter

I had to migrate a number of domains from one server to another (faster, new) server. For clients all email boxes stopped working properly. They could send mail but couldn't receive mail.

Recreating the email boxes didn't help. Since the clients were desperate I tried moving the sites to another server and back, but now another problem exists. The mentioned email boxes were gone, and can't be created anymore.

The following error message pops up

Failed deployment of mail user [email protected]
Execution of '/usr/local/psa/bin/mail.sh' '--create' '[email protected]' '-passwd' '' '-mailbox' 'true' '-multiple-sessions' 'false' '-cp_access' 'false' failed with the return code 1.
STDOUT:

STDERR:
An error occured during mailname creation: Unable to update the mail name properties:
The password is incorrect, use at least 5 characters. The password should not contain mail name as its part.
Only Latin characters, no dictionary words (optional).

While the names and passwords are properly made. Any other name can still be created, but not the ones which were having problems in the first place.

Does anyone have ideas??

I am also having the same error when migrating. Did you ever get it working?

cPanel vs Plesk

The solution I found was moving the whole site to a cPanel server and moved them back. Not very elegant, but it worked. Not a solution I should have to do either. It should work without any problems.

Initially the sites were moved from a Plesk server TO a plesk server, but that obviously doesn't work for all site for some magically unknown reason. Moving those which didn't work, again to a cPanel server and back to the Plesk obviously did the trick, I wonder what kind of magic is going on there. Not a very scientific approach though.

Interesting workaround. So after moving to cpanel and then into the new plesk server, did the email accounts keep the same passwords and all historical mail?

Sounds like you have Server > Mail > "Check the passwords for mailboxes in the dictionary" enabled on the destination server. Try disabling it and retrying. Also check /usr/local/psa/PMM/var/migration.log for further ideas.

may be too short email or similar mailname (same login 'info') present on destination host.

Thanks for the help guys. "Check the passwords for mailboxes in the dictionary" is not enabled on the destination server. I also know the password is more than 5 characters for the users that fail.

I searched around more with the specific error I was getting in the migration log:
STDERR:
An error occured during mailname creation: Unable to update the mail name properties:
The password is incorrect, use at least 5 characters. The password should not contain mail name as its part.
Only Latin characters, no dictionary words (optional).

and found this post:
http://forum.plesk.com/showthread.php?threadid=24194

So, I set the following:
Server -> Mail
For: Names for POP3/IMAP mail accounts
checked: Only use of full POP3/IMAP mail accounts names is allowed

and then removed the domain that I had attempted to migrate earlier. I then performed the migration, and it went through successfully!

The only message that shows up after the migration is this (for each email account on the domain):
---
Execution of '/usr/local/psa/bin/autoresponder.sh' '-a' '-mail' '[email protected]' '-files' 'add:/usr/local/psa/tmp/deepinnovation.com/[email protected]/0' failed with the return code 1.
STDOUT:

STDERR:
Can't add file "/usr/local/psa/tmp/deepinnovation.com/[email protected]/0" to attachments repository: Can't read the file.
---

I believe this is because the attachments directory is empty.

Thanks everybody for your help!
much aloha-

> Only use of full POP3/IMAP mail accounts names is allowed

Yes, it's correct

About autoresponders:
Seems this problem has been fixed in any pmm hotfix

Back