• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Certificates?

J

JVRudnick

Hello all...

last item on my recent move to a new ded server....

how do I move a Certificate from one server, to another (for the same domain) ?

do I simply go to Server > Certificates > Add new Certificate and then go to Upload new cert as text, and then copy and paste in the KEY into one of those fields?

which field to use, does anyone know?

this is a cert that will let us use https for an ecommerce store?

Jim

Hello There Jim,

There are a few ways to do this depending on what files you have from your old server. The first method being the most ideal, as it will "Show up" in plesk and you will be able to view/edit it.

This is done by having 3 files: the CSR, the private key, and the actual certificate file. You can then re-create the cert inside of plesk as if it was new.

The second way involves using microsofts management console. Either you (or your former admin, or host, or whatever) Log in via terminal services to the OLD server and goto start, run

mmc

Inside of MMC, you need to add/remove snap-in, and choose certificates. It will then give you 3 options or so. Chose "local computer" and then click next/OK/ok,

You should then find your certificate under "personal" i beleive. Right click on it and choose export. You can then export it to a PEM file, from which you can transfer it to the new server

Now on the new server, run MMC as well, but this time import

ONce its all imported, you have to then go into IIS and under the properties/security tab choose to use an existing cert and pick the cert you just installed

Voila! all done

The downside of this is that it doesnt actually show up in plesk, and i beleive if you do run the reconfigurator to check/repair, it will reset back to the plesk default. We have had many customers migrate from other hosts from which the old host gave them their key in PEM format and we restored. Also, customers with dedicated servers that have moved to us, i have done similar things to make their SSL work.

If plesk or anyone else has a better wya to do this, please post as i would be interested. I think theres a few other ways i made it work before but i forget :)

Regards,

Michael J. DeRosa
www.NetworxHosting.com
[email protected]

Back