• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Change Default DNS Service

DavidMCR

New Pleskian
Hello.

I am looking to change the default DNS service from BIND to MS DNS.

I understand from what I've read in posts that the process "should" be automatic. MS DNS is installed on the server in a stopped state and the service is currently set to Manual start. I understand that Plesk "should" disable BIND, start MS DNS and then transfer the domain DNS records across (or something similar anyway) which is all good.

However when in Tools & Settings>Server Components>Select default DNS Server component and I select MS DNS a warning appears:

Warning: only the first 254 IP addresses of subnets with /8 and /16 masks located in the Access Control List will be transferred. They will be transferred as separate IP addresses. Do you wish to continue?

What does this actually mean in plain simple English? Do I need to be concerned about it?

Regards, David.

BIND allow to specify network at transfer restriction (Tools & Settings->DNS Template->Transer restriction template), but MS DNS - only IP. That is why we divide network to several separeted IP's.

Last edited:
Back