• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Change email address for user 'root'

C

cerebrum

Currently my VPS is configured such that email that is sent to system user root will confuse the mail server and never get anywhere. The qmail logs will show

qmail: 1210614926.426204 delivery 13085: failure: Sorry._Although_I'm_listed_as_a_best-preference_MX_or_A_for_that_host,/it_isn't_in_my_control/locals_file,_so_I_don't_treat_it_as_local._(#
5.4.6)/

Now, I could fix that manually because I know how Qmail works. However, I'm a bit concerned that I might break Plesk that way and therefore would prefer setting an alias (for the domain or the local user root) via Plesk. But how do I do that? I looked everywhere and couldn't find it. :(

Any hints?

Plesk writes the Plesk admin e-mail address to /var/qmail/alias/.qmail-root. Changing the address in Plesk will rewrite this alias.

However, sending mail to root doesn't work, since root is expanded to root@$HOSTNAME and Plesk doesn't set $HOSTNAME in /var/qmail/control/locals (which I believe is a bug), so the message is rejected.

Back