• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Forwarded to devs Backup Manager email notification issue: wrong from address

PeopleInside

Regular Pleskian
Username:

TITLE

Backup Manager email notification issue: wrong from address

PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE

Plesk Version 18.0.55 Update #2
Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION

The Backup Manager in Plesk allow to receive email notification in case of issues or if admin / user ask to be informed when a backup has been completed.

The from email address used is the address of the admin or user, this cause to me email to not get delivered because I don't own the Google email address.

I set Plesk to send email always from my domain address in panel.ini as the official Plesk guide
- How to change 'from' field in Plesk email notifications sent to clients?
but this seems doesn't affect the backup manager.

The issue is that I expect to be able to fix the FROM email address of the backup manager email notification.
Should be not my Gmail email address but an email address of my domain.

Issue discussion: Issue - Backup Manager, wrong email address sender

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

Change "from" field in Plesk.ini to desired domain hosted on Plesk
Create a backup on Plesk using the Backup Manager and ask for an email notification.

The email will be not from the desired domain as set in php.ini

ACTUAL RESULT

The from email address is the same of the to address that is Google so Plesk server has no authorization to send email from a Google domain!

Email get not delivered to me as result.

This mail is unauthenticated, which poses a security risk to the
550-5.7.26 sender and Gmail users, and has been blocked. The sender must
550-5.7.26 authenticate with at least one of SPF or DKIM. For this message,
550-5.7.26 DKIM checks did not pass and SPF check for [gmail.com]

The issue is that Backup Manager pretend to send email from a gmail email address. This is wrong, I need to be able to customize the from email address, I already do this in plesk.ini but this seems is not affecting backup manager.

EXPECTED RESULT

The from email address should be the sender I set in plesk.ini or the same email address used for notifiy when Plesk is updated. This sender are usually root @ mydomain name.

Use the admin email address as from email address is not good for email delivery.

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

(DID NOT ANSWER QUESTION)

YOUR EXPECTATIONS FROM PLESK SERVICE TEAM

Confirm bug

The following image can help to understand my request to fix Backup Manager:

1696159511142.png

The from email address of the Backup Manager notification is my Gmail email address.
Plesk is not allowed to send email with the domain of Gmail, this is not good and correct.

Email are not delivered to me because Plesk is sending me email from my gmail account without have the authorization to send email from the gmail domain.
What I expect is that email are sent from the root email address of the hostname set in Plesk.

When Plesk is updated I get correctly emails from the root email address of my hostname set in Plesk.
Also for be sure that root domain name is used I added the line in Plesk.ini but this settings seems is ignored by the Backup Manager.

I have two request for the team:
  1. Please fix this from email address to allow to be customized. On my opinion should send email from the root email address of the hostname set in Plesk, as when Plesk is updated, the notification come correctly from that root domain email address so Backup Manager should do the same. If you wont implement this allow the from email to respect the custom email address I set in panel.ini.
  2. Any temporary solution to change the from email address?

Thank you for reporting this in this detailed version.

I took the research further and found that this is a known issue. I just haven't seen it yet, because most users are using their own domain/admin address in that place. The issue is logged internally as PPP-50990, PPPM-12518 and PPS-9670.

I've forwarded it to the team asking whether it could be considered for faster fixing. At the moment there is no workaround for it.

Thank you for reporting this in this detailed version.

I took the research further and found that this is a known issue. I just haven't seen it yet, because most users are using their own domain/admin address in that place. The issue is logged internally as PPP-50990, PPPM-12518 and PPS-9670.

I've forwarded it to the team asking whether it could be considered for faster fixing. At the moment there is no workaround for it.
I found a workaround also if I don't know for how long will work:

Ned take template example from the file /usr/local/psa/admin/share/pmmcli/pmmcli-rc.sample
then add and customize the following:

Code:
# Notification mail 'mail-from' parameter
#NOTIFICATION_MAIL_FROM 'Administrator'

# smtpserver name
#SMTPSERVER localhost

# AUTHREQUIRED param of smtpserver
#AUTHREQUIRED 0

Uncommenting the desired string.
I find this solution from here.

I replaced Administrator with my domain email and uncomment the line edited also I set my hostname and uncomment the relative line too.
Emails get time to arrive but this time the from email address is the custom from my domain and works.

Thank you for your help @Peter Debik

Hi,
I have a similar issue with mails sent to gmail account.

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at MYDOMAIN:EU.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<[email protected]>:
108.177.15.27 failed after I sent the message.
Remote host said: 550-5.7.26 This mail has been blocked because the sender is unauthenticated.
550-5.7.26 Gmail requires all senders to authenticate with either SPF or DKIM.
550-5.7.26
550-5.7.26 Authentication results:
550-5.7.26 DKIM = did not pass
550-5.7.26 SPF [gmail.com] with ip: [111.222.333.444] = did not pass <-- Here is my Server IP address
550-5.7.26
550-5.7.26 To mitigate this issue, please visit Gmail's authentication guide
550-5.7.26 for instructions on setting up authentication:
550 5.7.26 Email sender guidelines - Gmail Help bh1-20020a05600005c100b0032f7a28cc1asi459347wrb.300 - gsmtp

Whenever I was sent a status message from monitoring, wordpress toolkit or similar, plesk tries to send messages as if from gmail but gmail is where the message should be sent to.

If I can help in anyway with more information please let me know.

Back