• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Change Partions in CentOS 7

Fabhino22Elz

Basic Pleskian
Hi, i have some performance issues and i guess they come from a nearly full partition. That is why i wanne change the size of the partions.

I wanne change the size of the /dev/sda1 partition. i dont have any more free disk space so i want to transfer from other partition. any solutions how to do this on centos 7?

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1 3.9G 3.7G 231M 95% /
devtmpfs 32G 0 32G 0% /dev
tmpfs 32G 0 32G 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 32G 233M 32G 1% /run
tmpfs 32G 0 32G 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/mapper/ssd-usr 12G 4.4G 6.8G 40% /usr
/dev/mapper/hdd-data 3.9G 8.0M 3.6G 1% /data
/dev/mapper/ssd-home 4.8G 10M 4.6G 1% /home
/dev/mapper/ssd-var 197G 84G 106G 45% /var
none 32G 88K 32G 1% /tmp
tmpfs 6.3G 0 6.3G 0% /run/user/0

Any ideas how i can change the partion sizes?

This will be extremely tricky and most likely fail resulting in full loss of your data. Bad idea to change the size of a partition on a running system. The exact procedure depends on the operating system you are using. But in general: Don't do it!

Instead: Create a full backup of your Plesk environment using the built-in backup feature of Plesk. Then rent a larger server, do a basic installation of Plesk there and restore the backup to that new server.

Are you using EXT4 or XFS? LVM?

To add to what @Peter Debik suggested, if you absolutely need to perform this on a live server:
- ensure you have working backups and a contingency plan
- test the procedure on a test VPS with an identical partition structure.

What can be done right now is to check if there are any big OS packages that can be uninstalled to provide more free space on the / partition. I also see that you don't have a separate /boot partition, so old kernels are also occupying space on / (I'd keep at least one old working kernel, though).

Bad idea if /Dev/sda1 inst in lvm as your orther partitions.

And very strange partitions distribuition in you server, all LVM but not sda1 mounted your root.

Back