• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Change PHP-FPM settings

KZM

Basic Pleskian
Hi there!

I'm tuning my Apache server bc of it is continuously being rebooted due to timeouts.

As I'm using PHP handler FPM I have found some settings I can tweak (I've already upgraded my VPS to 16 GM memory)
File: ../mods-available/mpm_prefork.conf
<IfModule mpm_prefork_module>
StartServers 4
MinSpareServers 20
MaxSpareServers 40
MaxRequestWorkers 200
MaxConnectionsPerChild 4500
</IfModule>

But also in Plesk UI I noticed these same settings can be tweaked.

So the questions is WHERE do I make these tweaks?

@KZM You're confusing two different things. The one in your first post refers to web server settings, the other one you refer to in your PHP-FPM sreenshot refers to PHP settings. For most scenarios the PHP-FPM setting "on demand" is a good choice. If the "max_children" value is too small, it is possible that additional requests cannot be processed until a previous request has finished processing. This however will be logged in your error_log, so you should get a clear message like "max_children reached". A web server with max_request works = 200 should definitely be able to handle all. Having 20 server instances "ready to go" is also enough for most cases. So probably you're exceeding the PHP-FPM settings. Try a larger numbre of max_children, e.g 50, and a high number of max_requests, e.g. 10000.

@KZM You're confusing two different things. The one in your first post refers to web server settings, the other one you refer to in your PHP-FPM sreenshot refers to PHP settings. For most scenarios the PHP-FPM setting "on demand" is a good choice. If the "max_children" value is too small, it is possible that additional requests cannot be processed until a previous request has finished processing. This however will be logged in your error_log, so you should get a clear message like "max_children reached". A web server with max_request works = 200 should definitely be able to handle all. Having 20 server instances "ready to go" is also enough for most cases. So probably you're exceeding the PHP-FPM settings. Try a larger numbre of max_children, e.g 50, and a high number of max_requests, e.g. 10000.
Thanks! but do those 2 affect each other?

Back