• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Question Change PHP-FPM settings

KZM

Basic Pleskian
Hi there!

I'm tuning my Apache server bc of it is continuously being rebooted due to timeouts.

As I'm using PHP handler FPM I have found some settings I can tweak (I've already upgraded my VPS to 16 GM memory)
File: ../mods-available/mpm_prefork.conf
<IfModule mpm_prefork_module>
StartServers 4
MinSpareServers 20
MaxSpareServers 40
MaxRequestWorkers 200
MaxConnectionsPerChild 4500
</IfModule>

But also in Plesk UI I noticed these same settings can be tweaked.

So the questions is WHERE do I make these tweaks?

@KZM You're confusing two different things. The one in your first post refers to web server settings, the other one you refer to in your PHP-FPM sreenshot refers to PHP settings. For most scenarios the PHP-FPM setting "on demand" is a good choice. If the "max_children" value is too small, it is possible that additional requests cannot be processed until a previous request has finished processing. This however will be logged in your error_log, so you should get a clear message like "max_children reached". A web server with max_request works = 200 should definitely be able to handle all. Having 20 server instances "ready to go" is also enough for most cases. So probably you're exceeding the PHP-FPM settings. Try a larger numbre of max_children, e.g 50, and a high number of max_requests, e.g. 10000.

@KZM You're confusing two different things. The one in your first post refers to web server settings, the other one you refer to in your PHP-FPM sreenshot refers to PHP settings. For most scenarios the PHP-FPM setting "on demand" is a good choice. If the "max_children" value is too small, it is possible that additional requests cannot be processed until a previous request has finished processing. This however will be logged in your error_log, so you should get a clear message like "max_children reached". A web server with max_request works = 200 should definitely be able to handle all. Having 20 server instances "ready to go" is also enough for most cases. So probably you're exceeding the PHP-FPM settings. Try a larger numbre of max_children, e.g 50, and a high number of max_requests, e.g. 10000.
Thanks! but do those 2 affect each other?

Back