• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Xavier12

Regular Pleskian
Hey guys,

Is it possible to change the Plesk backup manager default location to be another VPS server location specifically for backup storage? In other words, when customers backup their website, is it possible to change the location of the file backup to be another VPS server location instead of the current one?

We use SSD storage, but since SATA is much cheaper, we'd like to use another server with SATA as a backup location.

Please advise, thanks.

@Xavier12

I am not sure what you are asking, since there is the possibility to set a FTP remote repository for backups (and that remote repository can be on another VPS).

In short, you should be already able to create backups on another server.

I am pretty sure that this does not answer your question, so can you rephrase your question?

Regards....

Hi,

Thanks for reaching back. Yes, understand the FTP option. I mean in regards to the default location, which is a dumps folder within Plesk, dont remember the exact location. I'd like to change the default location (which is a plesk dumps folder) to another server location if the user does not enter an FTP option.

Does this make sense?

@Xavier12

Even "that" would be possible, with "that" meaning: attaching a server repository (i.e. the dumps folder, as you call it) that actually is located on another server.

However, it is a little bit problematic (and even insecure), if an internal network (to which both servers are attached) is absent.

If you have an internal network, one could consider to use the DRBD + Corosync + Pacemaker stack (note: it is not the best, but it works like a charm and offers High-Availability clusters, implying that you can do much more than only "sharing disks").

If you have servers in (for example) the Azure Cloud, you can achieve your goal immediately and easily: just attach file storage (i.e. a disk shared between servers) in "two seconds".

If you do not have the "fancy stuff", then it is still possible to create a (more or less "strange") work-around: just create a small script, calling the pleskbackup command line utility.

For some explanation of the possibilities of the pleskbackup command line utiliy, see this page.

Ehm, I must admit that the before mentioned script is indeed a workaround, it is not possible to directly set the server repository on a remote server.

Anyway, hope the above helps!

Regards....

Hi Trialotto,

Thanks for reaching back with a descriptive update, really appreciate your help and response. I guess this isn't possible as mentioned. Thanks for the pacemaker stack information, never knew of this. Very helpful for future tight production server configuration! :)

Also, didn't realize I have not asked. Is there a way to at least set a default FTP configuration automatically so that a customer doesn't have to enter the information. This FTP configuration would be the actual server that I'd like the backups to be on. For example, a new customer signs up in Plesk, they visit the backup manager, visit FTP and preconfigured FTP login credentials is already set for their account. I'd like this to be default all around if possible, with an option for them to overwrite the settings if they modify it and save the configuration.

Please advise, thnx!

@Xavier12

In response to your two reactions, one of them a question about default FTP backup settings, the following.

You stated

Thanks for the pacemaker stack information, never knew of this. Very helpful for future tight production server configuration!

and I think that I have to advice to use the "Cloud Approach", given the fact that one really does need an internal network with a decent backbone of at least 1Gb/s (note: this is the absolute minimum, otherwise you will be consistently reaching limits) and given the fact that hosting providers do charge a lot for internal networks (and in Azure it is free and fast).

If you want to, you can start a personal conversation and I will explain a little bit more about the above.

With respect to the "default FTP backup settings", I have to be honest and mention that I am not aware of that possibility, primarily due to the fact that we use dynamic mirrors (of the whole server) and/or snapshots (in case of VPSes).

However, I am pretty sure that this can be arranged via a script calling the Plesk API (i.e. domain creation via the API, with automatic settings for the FTP backup repository).

In essence, that is probably not the answer you are looking for, isn´t it?

Regards....

@Xavier12

In response to your two reactions, one of them a question about default FTP backup settings, the following.

You stated

and I think that I have to advice to use the "Cloud Approach", given the fact that one really does need an internal network with a decent backbone of at least 1Gb/s (note: this is the absolute minimum, otherwise you will be consistently reaching limits) and given the fact that hosting providers do charge a lot for internal networks (and in Azure it is free and fast).

If you want to, you can start a personal conversation and I will explain a little bit more about the above.

With respect to the "default FTP backup settings", I have to be honest and mention that I am not aware of that possibility, primarily due to the fact that we use dynamic mirrors (of the whole server) and/or snapshots (in case of VPSes).

However, I am pretty sure that this can be arranged via a script calling the Plesk API (i.e. domain creation via the API, with automatic settings for the FTP backup repository).

In essence, that is probably not the answer you are looking for, isn´t it?

Regards....

Hi Trialotto,

Makes sense. Thanks for this. Will look into it and hopefully I can find a solution. :)

DM sent :)

Thanks for the feedback Chris1, but this is to change the main folder of the Plesk backups internally, not for a second server configuration.

Back