• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Change umask for SFTP on Plesk to "umask 002"

C

calamus77

I work for a web design company that has about 100 hosted websites on the server that we maintain in addition to all of our staged clients. We have it setup so that all of the developers can SFTP into the server and work on any website that is hosted with us or currently staged. IMHO, it is much better to give an employee (especially new ones) a username and password that we can remove access for than to give them a list of all of our clients access information, which if something unfortunate happened, we'd have to tell 100 clients to change their passwords (not fun).

However, currently, when a new file is created, it gets the default rw-r--r-- (644) permission. This creates the problem where nobody else can write to the file except the creator...so we have to SSH into the server and do "chmod -R g+w ./*" for a website when someone else needs to work on it...which is problematic for those who aren't comfortable with the command line or don't have root access. So, my question is...is there any way to change the default umask for SFTP to "umask 002"?

the proftpd.conf file is already changed to have a umask 002. So, over standard FTP, we are able to get group-write permissions by default, but I'd like to know if there is a way to do this for SFTP as well, as I feel that my user/pass, which has sudo permissions is a bit more secure with SFTP.

Thanks,

Kevin

Back