• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Need to find password for SSH Terminal use - the one I wrote down years ago isn't working

David Borrink

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
CentOS 7.9.2009
Plesk version and microupdate number
18.0.58 Update #2
Back story to help with my question: We were at GoDaddy, then InMotion, then we migrated to Plesk on a self-hosting plan. A tech took care of moving us each time. I had SSH/SFTP info written down from when we were at GoDaddy.

Situation: I'm trying to run SSH Terminal commands to install RocketChat on a subdomain I created to hold it. The first set of commands ask for the password for the domain. This is a new subdomain, but it's asking for the password to "f92ffc" which the beginning ID numbers that our domain had on them when they were at GoDaddy. I used the SSH/SFTP password info I had from when at GoDaddy but the password isn't accepted. I don't know how to find out what the current password is for the domain. Is there somewhere I can find that since I have administrator status in Plesk and should be able to find anything in my system?

I went to a different domain's SSH Terminal and tried the commands, and a different ID number was shown that tells me it definitely is looking for a domain's password when trying that. So I know it's domain-specific now.

This is the first time I've tried using command lines in Plesk so I fear I'm stuck unless there's a way to override this.

Passwords cannot be retrieved. The encryption is one-way. If you are logged in as "admin" to Plesk, you can set a new password, e.g. on the "Hosting Settings" tab on "Websites and Domains".

Actually, I'm told that resetting the password under Hosting Settings doesn't get you the sudo level password. That is what I need, the root level password. How would I get that?

Actually, I'm told that resetting the password under Hosting Settings doesn't get you the sudo level password. The command prompt I'm getting says "[sudo]" in front of it so apparently I need root access. I can reset the password for the user level of the subscription but my hosting advisor says that won't get me the sudo level in order to run any commands to install RocketChat. So my user password is probably correct. I just need to do root level. Where do I find that?

Your provider can probably better answer your question. Some provider offer an options to change/reset root passwords or offer a KVM Console that can be used to acces a server and change the root password.

Back