• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Changed behavior regarding password protected directories.

webmasterfreya

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Debian 10
Plesk version and microupdate number
18.0.59 update 2
Something (major) has changed regarding password protected directories.
I got a complaint from a user that she could not login anymore today on a certain subdirectory, but last week she could.

After an extensive search it turns out that one can now only logon at subdirectory level (eg /domain.com/maintenance/subsystem) when one has the same authorization (user/password) on the parent directory (/domain.com/maintenance).

I tested the logins for other users and the same problem occured. Only after granting rights at the parent directory the users can login.

Will be a lot of work to adjust to this changed behavior.

Questions:
So what has changed and why has it changed?
Could this have something to do with the thread "Resolved Protected directory not working for php files" ?
Can you recreate this problem?

I am not sure whether this should not be expected behavior. Normally, password protection works for the directory it was set for and subdirectories. I would not want to file this as a product issue unless it is analyzed on the affected system and confirmed by product management that it is not intended to be like this. Could you please open a support ticket and give support SSH access so that they can check it on the machine and also research internally whether this is an intended behavior?

I am not sure whether this should not be expected behavior. Normally, password protection works for the directory it was set for and subdirectories. I would not want to file this as a product issue unless it is analyzed on the affected system and confirmed by product management that it is not intended to be like this. Could you please open a support ticket and give support SSH access so that they can check it on the machine and also research internally whether this is an intended behavior?
Yes you are right. Normally or usually passwords protection works correctly.

Peter,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I do remember that in the (far) past it worked like it is working now.
Conclusion: it did not work like this in the last year or so (before 18.0.59) .
I've been busy adjusting to the current situation and this ticket can be closed as far as i'm concerned.

Back