• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Changing QMail defaults

N

neuromancer

The default setting in the Plesk 7.5.2 (RHEL AS 3) installation of qmail appears to be 7 days. Nowadays, it's quite useless for one to find out that the email they sent out didn't get to its intended destination for 7 days...been getting a lot of complaints about it.

I'd like to set it to something a bit more realistic, like 24 hours. How is this done? Through Plesk? Or a conf file. I looked around but couldn't find any conf files associated with qmail that appears to fit the bill.

It would be nice to have a notifier too, that sends a notification to the sender when the sending process is hung up for any reason:

"Your mail to so-and-so could not be sent after x hours. I'll keep trying for x days"

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Look for the file
/var/qmail/control/queuelifetime

If it does not exist, then create one with a single line which contains a number representing the number of seconds that messages will stay in queue. Only put the number...

4 hrs = 14400
8 hrs = 18800
24 hrs = 86400 secs

Also see this other thread about other Qmail settings files

http://forum.plesk.com/showthread.php?threadid=12197&highlight=double+bounce

Even though it was originally about double bounces, it has good info on additional Qmail settings

Back