• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Changing the e-mail client setup instructions in the e-mail section of the user panel

Ying HaoM

New Pleskian
Hi,

Plesk product: Plesk Panel 10.3.1 on Ubuntu LTS 10.04.

In the user control panel, the mail section, there is a button behind each address which gives a pop-up containing the information required to setup an external e-mail client. This contains username, servers, etc.

For each user, their personal domain is listed as the server address. But because we force SSL/TLS, this is not accurate. If the users do use those addresses, they get SSL certificate warnings.

Is there a way to change what information is displayed in that pop-up? I can't seem to find anything about it in the panel.

For example:

# cd /usr/local/psa/admin/smb/application/resources/languages/en-US/controllers/
# grep -R Outlook *
email-address/configuration.php: 'hint' => 'If you use Microsoft Outlook, Outlook Express, Thunderbird, or Apple Mail, click the link below to open step-by-step instructions on how to set up your e-mail account in these clients. To configure other e-mail clients, use the account settings shown under the Manual Setup.',
email-address/configuration.php: 'instructionsLink' => 'View instructions on configuring MS Outlook, Outlook Express, Apple Mail, and Thunderbird.',

Do you mean that we should consider your request as feature request?
In this case please fill template with all necessary details that exactly should be done and I will forward it to developers as feature request.

---------------------------------------------------------------
PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE

Product: Plesk Panel 10.3.1
Kernel: 2.6.32-30-server #59-Ubuntu SMP Tue Mar 1 22:46:09 UTC 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION AND STEPS TO REPRODUCE

In the user control panel, the mail section, there is a button behind each address which gives a pop-up containing the information required to setup an external e-mail client. This contains username, servers, etc.

This information is not configurable, but I think it should be, because when using TLS/SSL, users will get certificate errors.

ACTUAL RESULT

For each user, their personal domain is listed as the server address. Because we force SSL/TLS, they will get a certificate warning, because even though the customer domain resolves to the same IP address, the mail server is intended to be reached at mail.example.com, for which a certificate was created.

EXPECTED RESULT

It would be nice if this entire dialog was configurable. Not only the server addresses, but also the descriptive text. For instance, we put SPF on our customers domains by default, and they need to know they have to use our outgoing server. To that end, I'd like to be able to put a custom text in that pop-up.

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
--------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for report. I have forwarded it to developers as feature request.

Does anyone know if this feature request was ever looked at. we have the same issue where the settings given are wrong. Being able to configure that dialogue would solve the issue completely...

We have the same problem, so I was searching about that and didn't find how to change the dialog box. Is it possible now? And how? Thanks for an answer!

still no proper fix as far as I know, however you can preform surgery if needed as follows - but be aware plesk updates will break it at some point in future unless you make your own custom language pack. so backup your work.

Note paths are for a centos based plesk install.

Edit /usr/local/psa/admin/application/smb/views/scripts/email-address/configuration.phtml, look for fieldIncomingServer and fieldOutgoingServer and after the colon remove the php code and replace it with desired mail server names e.g. mail.blah.com but don't forget to leave the line break in triangular brackets at end. Save.

Now edit /usr/local/psa/admin/application/smb/resources/languages/en-US/controllers/email-address/configuration.php and adjust text, in my case I removed the 'instructionsLink' line and adjusted the hint. Save. changes are effective in panel immediately. I'd still love to see this feature make it into plesk 12.1 or whatever next release is...

Sorry to write that, @burnleyvic, but your solution does not include, that with dovecot you have as well the possibility to define SSL - certificates for each domain. There are as well solutions for postfix ( depending on rDNS entries and different IPs )... so I don't think that the actual thread does point to possible changes, depending on your used eMail - servers.

Hi burnleyvic. Thank you for your manual. That's exactly what I was searching for.
I also hope, that this configuration will be possible directly in Plesk Admin Panel in a future version..

I appreciate there are *many* different usage scenarios @UFHH01 but I'm sure we aren't the only ones who want to use standardized incoming and outgoing mail server host names for simplicity of setup instructions, support and also cost factors as we can then use a single wildcard certificate to secure multiple servers. All we humbly ask for is a way to customize those instructions in such a way that future plesk updates won't wipe it. I'm not asking for some fancy GUI feature just a documented unction or file (panel.ini or whatever the devs feel comfortable with) where we can adjust the setup instructions plesk publishes on that button to match what we publish elsewhere in our support articles. Currently there isn't even an ability for us to disable this 'feature' with out performing invasive surgery that an update is quite likely to overwrite in the future with out warning. And its the with out warning bit thats most annoying to many admins!!

Back