• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

Issue Character set 'utf8mb3' is not supported by .Net Framework

riick

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Microsoft Windows Server 2022
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64
Hello

I migrated a website a website to a New Windows server with Plesk and after migration, I am getting this error with one of the website:

Character set 'utf8mb3' is not supported by .Net Framework.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NotSupportedException: Character set 'utf8mb3' is not supported by .Net Framework.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NotSupportedException: Character set 'utf8mb3' is not supported by .Net Framework.]
MySql.Data.MySqlClient.CharSetMap.GetCharacterSet(DBVersion version, String charSetName) +238
MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlField.SetFieldEncoding() +166
MySql.Data.MySqlClient.NativeDriver.GetColumnData(MySqlField field) +352
MySql.Data.MySqlClient.NativeDriver.GetColumnsData(MySqlField[] columns) +39
MySql.Data.MySqlClient.Driver.GetColumns(Int32 count) +114
MySql.Data.MySqlClient.ResultSet.LoadColumns(Int32 numCols) +26
MySql.Data.MySqlClient.ResultSet..ctor(Driver d, Int32 statementId, Int32 numCols) +60
MySql.Data.MySqlClient.Driver.NextResult(Int32 statementId, Boolean force) +176
MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlDataReader.NextResult() +439
MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlDataReader.Close() +158
MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlCommand.ResetReader() +54
MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior) +2386
System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.FillInternal(DataSet dataset, DataTable[] datatables, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior) +214
System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataTable[] dataTables, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior) +465
System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataTable dataTable) +147
WebApplication3.ExamLogin.saveclick(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\Users\xidiv\source\repos\WebApplication3\WebApplication3\examlogin.aspx.cs:51
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e) +11601732
System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +274
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1890

The new server has MariaDB version MariaDB 10.11 10.11.8.0 and the old one has MariaDB 10.6 10.6.18.0.

ASP.NET 4.8.0 in the new server and ASP.NET 4.7.0 in the old server.

How to resolve this?

Thank you.

Hello, @riick.
To be honest - it sounds a little bit strange, that you didn't face the problem with your old server, because the problem is typical for MariaDB 10.6. From MariaDB 10.6 default char set for utf8 was changed from utf8mb4 to utf8mb3. Maybe you have custom my.ini in the old server with enabled old encoding by default?
Anyway, I hope that this thread at the stack overflow can help you.

Thank you. Config on both servers are the original confirmation. the mariadb version is the only difference. I'll check what I can do about this.

Back