• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Cloudflare servershield change account?

Ok guys, I screwed up on a server and didnt input my account, now i cant find a place where to set it up globally.

Anyone has an idea on how to do this once it has been setup?

Thanks in advance

Hello,

I ran into this same issue. I had to disable all CloudFlare services for all domains on the server and then the option appeared to re-enter new account login details.

I had to go into each domain and disable it, obviously not a clean way of doing it if there were a lot of domains though.

Hi everyone,

We've reported this issue to CloudFlare, waiting to hear from them on how this can be improved/fixed.

@GaryCook (and @Dx3webs ...... @others),

It is a persistent problem with 2 faces: (on the one hand) the nature of the Plesk Cloudflare ServerShield extension is a bit peculiar and, more important, outdated (read: not even in line with most recent API changes on the Cloudflare side) and (on the other hand) Cloudflare accounts and/or Cloudflare are a bit "sticky", in general.

In both cases, the majority of the burden of responsibility is on the shoulders of Cloudflare: in a sense, this topic thread is to some extent not related to Plesk.

In short, the questions in this topic thread should actually be posted on a Cloudflare forum and/or being mentioned as a "bug" to the Cloudflare support team.

Nevertheless, it is Plesk (as a company and Cloudflare partner) that should actually bring this "issue" under the attention of Cloudflare - after all, the free Cloudflare extension and the paid-for Cloudflare extension are making use of some specific set of functionality that is not really "common" when compared to the current Cloudflare plans.

The problem is very likely that Cloudflare has no intention to give priority to this particular Plesk extension, as the focus at Cloudflare shifted from "free Cloudflare for all, with additional paid-for premium features" towards the current "paid-for Cloudflare plans ......and ....... free Cloudflare plans, rather not".

In summary, there is only a small chance that the Plesk extension will be improved and updated.

Now, let's return to the actual problem: stickiness of accounts and DNS.

There is a solution, I will elaborate on this:

a) Sticky accounts: if one wants the highest degree of flexibility when using Plesk Cloudflare ServerShield extension, just use the following steps

1 - create a separate account via Cloudflare | Web Performance & Security (and just sign up, i.e. register a new account)
2 - when associating domains: use the (newly created) account (from step 1) in the Plesk Cloudflare ServerShield extension
3 - when disassociating domains: use the Cloudflare dashboard and just remove a website (and refresh the Plesk Panel)

and note that

- you will be able to "delete" (read: disassociate domains) on a individual basis quite easily
- you will not be able to associate subdomains individually: it is only possible to associate/disassociate domains in the form [domain].[tld], hence including subdomains!

b) Sticky DNS: one can use three methods of (properly) creating DNS records associated with domains hosted with a Plesk instance, being

1 - use the Plesk Cloudflare ServerShield extension: this is rather limited, in the sense that full DNS control is a bit absent
2 - use external DNS records: for a relatively good instruction, see this article by Cloudflare
3 - use Cloudflare (blazing fast) DNS: this is the best solution, but it is not suitable for scenario's in which one has the paid-for ServerShield Plus extension

and note that

- option 1 will lead to immediate DNS propagation, if and only if the Cloudflare dashboard has been used to remove DNS for domains
- option 2 will lead to immediate or fast DNS propagation, if and only if the externally managed DNS records have a low TTL and a close proximity to the internet backbone
- option 3 will lead to unpredictable behavior: sometimes it will work immediately and sometimes DNS has not even been released after weeks

In conclusion, (one the hand) we will have to wait until Cloudflare reacts with appropriate action to notifications by Plesk Team, which is a shame on Cloudflare in my humble opinion and (on the other hand) try to use the Plesk Cloudflare Servershield extension whenever possible (unless you are fully able to manage DNS properly).

Hope the above explains a bit ...... and helps a bit.

Regards........

Hi everyone,

We've reported this issue to CloudFlare, waiting to hear from them on how this can be improved/fixed.

@custer,

Some of the things that should be emphasized in the discussion with Cloudflare Team are that

a) it would be necessary to be able to manage DNS from the Cloudflare dashboard: DNS is now invisible and it cannot do harm to make use of the (blazing fast) Cloudflare DNS (read: making Plesk a slave nameserver) and allow full DNS control (via Cloudflare dashboard), this in order to prevent DNS stickyness (which is a serious problem) and to enable domain bypassing (subdomains in particular),

b) it would be required to have the Plesk Cloudflare ServerShield extension updated: at this moment, not all functionalities of a ServerShield Plus license can be used and/or are working properly (as expected and/or as paid-for),

c) it would be desirable to have some more functionality in Plesk Panel: continuously switching between Cloudflare dashboard and Plesk Panel is a bit inconvenient, in my humble opinion there should be additional functionality for the most important settings that are nowadays available with Cloudflare (read: the current settings in Plesk Panel are in line with former versions of Cloudflare, but are now a bit outdated)

Hope the above is a bit of feedback that you can use.....

Kind regards.........

Back