• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Cluster

PedroN

Regular Pleskian
Hello,

I wanted to know if I can join multiple machines to a master plesk and administrate all machines there.

Thanks

Also considering the price license of plesk, it is not plesk automation a license a bit high, knowing that cpanel have this functionality for free for their panel?

@Pedroff,

You should consider

- to use Azure: it is possible to achieve what you want on Azure Cloud (any other cloud for that matter, as long as a file share can be used), OR
- to wait for the next release, OR
- create a custom solution: for instance, consider Heartbeat + Corosync + DRBS, but this is more difficult in terms of setup and maintenance, OR
- create a custom solution based on Docker,

and the above is a enumeration of some of the alternatives.

Please note that it often is a bad idea to do what you want, since clustering requires a cluster for everything: mail servers, database server, load balancing etc.

The alternatives provided by competitive hosting panels are often API based, it merely is remote management of servers, nothing more.

The latter also means that you are not really talking about a cluster, but more or less about a remotely management hosting panel instance.

And that is not what you want, if you have the need for clustering.

In general, I would advice you to have a look at the Azure alternative: easy to setup, reliable and blazing fast.

Hope the above helps and explains a bit.

Regards!

@Pedroff,

You should consider

- to use Azure: it is possible to achieve what you want on Azure Cloud (any other cloud for that matter, as long as a file share can be used), OR
- to wait for the next release, OR
- create a custom solution: for instance, consider Heartbeat + Corosync + DRBS, but this is more difficult in terms of setup and maintenance, OR
- create a custom solution based on Docker,

and the above is a enumeration of some of the alternatives.

Please note that it often is a bad idea to do what you want, since clustering requires a cluster for everything: mail servers, database server, load balancing etc.

The alternatives provided by competitive hosting panels are often API based, it merely is remote management of servers, nothing more.

The latter also means that you are not really talking about a cluster, but more or less about a remotely management hosting panel instance.

And that is not what you want, if you have the need for clustering.

In general, I would advice you to have a look at the Azure alternative: easy to setup, reliable and blazing fast.

Hope the above helps and explains a bit.

Regards!
Hello,

Thanks for your response, what I am talking about is having multiple machines with plesk, and administrate them with only 1 panel, in some panels, this is called master and slave, or clusters, or whatever the name is. I mean making a group of machines with the same panel. Cpanel/whm already have this option in their panel, and plesk which is an alternative to cpanel you are telling me that already does not have this option? and that doing this with plesk automation is a lot expensive? so then how do big hosting companies administrate this things if they use plesk?

Thanks

@Pedroff,

Actually, the big hosting providers do not "administrate things" with Plesk or CPanel: they use software to automate "administration" (read: custom scripts or ready-made software like Plesk Automation or similar), a number of huge servers (read: with or without a hosting panel, mostly without) and a network infrastructure with multiple bear metal servers attached to it.

In fact, hosting panels (like Plesk or CPanel) are not really suited for doing the "nitty gritty stuff", one always has to do a lot via SSH.

You can imagine by now why larger hosting companies do invest in "automation suites" (like Plesk automation) or even "virtualization suites" (like Virtuozzo containers): it reduces costs.

In essence, Plesk as a hosting panel is the wrong tool for the right job.

The problem with Plesk is that it is essentially a panel for one server, still leaving you with a lot of work that has to be done via SSH.

The limits of that "one server" can mitigated by using a larger server, or split the relevant components of a server (CPU, memory, hard disks etc.) into separate items.

The challenge of mitigating storage limits of "one server" is not that difficult: just attach larger disks or even multiple fileshares.

The challenge of mitigating CPU and memory limits of "one server" is not that difficult: just use caching mechanisms AND distribute workloads across mulitple servers (load-balancing).

However, there is no sysadmin in the world that has solved the challenge of "parallel processing" entirely, even though some solutions come near (consider Docker Swarm).

In short, can do a lot, but one always encounters the limits of bear metal servers .....

Nevertheless, it still is possible to create a simple setup to manage a huge number of domains with one Plesk instance: just use (read: develop) a cloud based solution.

I will not elaborate on the latter, I am just answering your question "how do big hosting companies do it": they use other software than Plesk (or CPanel) to manage domains on clusters.

Regards....

Pedro,

Hello, and that doing this with plesk automation is a lot expensive? so then how do big hosting companies administrate this things if they use plesk?

If a big company use Plesk or cPanel to manage a hosting, then some solution similar to Odin Automation is used on top of it. It can be a solution from some vendor or built by an internal staff of the hosting company. A main purpose of the solution is to orchestrate provisioning of accounts across several Plesk or cPanel instances, since both Plesk and cPanel are initially targeted to a single server.

But could you clarify what are the most critical expectations from such "multi machines" management for you?
You've also mentioned that cPanel has "multi machines" solution using WHM, so possibly you have an experience with that. It would be also good to know what are the things you like in the solution.

Back