• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Complicated DNS - Calling all geeks!

M

MBAngel

I have been hosting web sites for years. I have upgraded to a plesk install on a third party virtual dedicated server. I have two plesk servers, one on linux and one windows.

I have over 50 domain names under my management. All of them have my dns servers entered at their registrars - ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com. (for my domain name) I have used my own dns servers, and a routing server to host multiple servers, web sites and services on two ips. (so http://clientdomain.com has name servers ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com)

I have set up all these web sites in the two plesk servers. I have found out that I can add a domain, with no web or mail services, and tell the dns to be a "secondary" It then asks me for the ip of the primary server. I told it the ip of the "other" server (where each dmain has it's hosting and email services)

So I have a copy of each domain on both of my servers. If the web hosting is on that server, the dns is "Master", if the hosting is on the other server, it's a secondary dns setup with no web hosting or email services.

The question is... how do I keep the info at the registrars the same (ns1.mydomain.com and ms2.mydomain.com) and make sure that these web sites can be found?

I feel like somethng's missing... I read where I should put the other dns server in the master record (for dynamic updates I think)

I'm not sure where to tell plesk who ns1. and ns2.mydomain.com is (or which specific records) and then I'm not sure this will work as a name server for all the domains?

Anyone out there with the wisdom and knowledge to assist me? You will have my gratitude forever if I can make this last change without incident^^.

I read that this is the setup I need to have... can anyone tell me hwo to make those ns records behave as my ns1 and ns2.mydomain.com name servers?

mynameserver.com NS ns1.mynameserver.com
mynameserver.com NS ns2. mynameserver.com
ns1.mynameserver.com A 216.**.***.**1
ns2.mynameserver.com A 216.**.***.**2
mynameserver.com A 216.**.***.**3

Ok, the answers I got from support staff: (In case someone else has a similar issue)
I need to go into the server settings... the dns panel.. and add in my name servers. I want all domains to answer to the same name servers, so this will change the default settings plesk uses to make all the domains.

If you already have domains set up... the quick way to fix it is to open each domain, dns panel and click Default, which will reset it to the default that plesk uses, which now includes my name servers.

If your sites all have different name servers, then you have to enter it manually on each one, don't change the plesk defaults in the server panel.

this will also solve the issue of both servers being able to udate secondary records, since there will be an ns record for both servers in place.

so I have it all set up in what looks like the appropriate manner, but when I query the lniux server for doains on the windows server, I'm not getting an answer. I do get an answer from the windows server for web sites hosted on the linux server tho... any clues why this would be?

Back