• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Confusion over what version of PHP I will have after upgrade

SacAutos

Regular Pleskian
I'm running Plesk 10.4.4 on CentOS 5.8 and am considering upgrading to Plesk 11. However, I have a number of websites that I am hosting that actually require that I stay on PHP 5.1.6. My understanding is that the version of PHP is a function of my operating system and not Plesk. (Having said that, I know that I can go to PHP 5.3 if I install that via the panel as an option.)

When I read the release notes for Plesk 11, it states:

"Upgrade of supplied components. Panel 11.0 includes the following components:

[...]
PHP 5.3.10 for customer websites
PHP 5.3.10 for the Panel web interface
[...]
"

So this is confusing me. Am I going to get 5.3 for my customer sites as part of the update or is this referring to the version of PHP that is the option? If I update and I wind up with 5.3 for my customer sites, that is a disaster as the sites will stop functioning.

Can someone please clarify?

Yes, as a default upgrade of plesk php 5.3 will be installed and that could break your customers websites since they require a much lower version.

However, you can downgrade it anytime with the command: yum downgrade php*

Very helpful info. Here's a follow-up

Another factor that I neglected to mention is that I also have php-mcrypt installed. Is that going to disappear, prevent the update or be included in the new PHP version? Anybody know? This is another important factor to consider when or if I update.

I somehow thought I responded to this but suprisingly I see now response from me :)

Anyways, I highly doubt if an upgrade would remove your php-mcrypt already installed..
But if it did, then installing it back would be as simple as running the command:

yum install php-mcrypt

I'm not so sure

Thanks again for trying to help. The reason why I'm asking is that php-mcrypt and the PHP 5.3 add-on via Plesk 10.4 are mutually exclusive. I was curious if this had been resolved for Plesk 11. Unfortunately I don't have a test server at the moment that I can use to do a trial install to find out for myself. Nobody else has this concern?

More confusion??

I make a fresh install, and try to reinstall sometimes but i have this version php 5.3.3-3.el6_2.8, my plesk version this plesk versión 11.0.9 #4 and my sistem is centos 6.2 64 x86

Don´t see how get this php version??
[...]
PHP 5.3.10 for customer websites
PHP 5.3.10 for the Panel web interface
[...]

Thanks!

Back