• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Contacting the plesk team: GDPR and voluntary consent for newsletters?

B_P

Regular Pleskian
Dear all,

What we just observed: When you try to contact Plesk through the official website form Contact Us, you can send a request without having to accept to receive newsletters etc.
However, once the form is submitted, you will receive the following message:

"Hello XYZ,​
You previously opted to receive product updates, guides, offers and more from Plesk - right to your inbox. If you're still up for being on our exclusive mailing list, simply click here to confirm your email address. If not, you'll miss out on receiving any emails from Plesk in the future :(
So let's get your subscription confirmed, and we'll speak to you later!​
The Plesk Team"​

So the question is now:
a) Is there a mistake in the way that the form is handled and did the developers mix up the "yes" and "no" of the newsletter checkbox?
b) Is that message related to giving the consent that Plesk gets in touch with a personal e-mail?
c) What happens, if I do not respond, will I still get an answer?
d) How can I contact Plesk without having to agree to receive newsletters etc?

So the question is now:
a) Is there a mistake in the way that the form is handled and did the developers mix up the "yes" and "no" of the newsletter checkbox?
b) Is that message related to giving the consent that Plesk gets in touch with a personal e-mail?
c) What happens, if I do not respond, will I still get an answer?
d) How can I contact Plesk without having to agree to receive newsletters etc?

Hi there B_P, thank you for taking the time to write about this. The message you received is a double opt-in email - without confirming it, Plesk is not allowed to send you any emails at all. Specifically, if you wrote an inquiry via „Contact Us“, you will not get an answer, if you did not confirm this opt-in email.

It has nothing to do with receiving the Plesk newsletter. You only receive the newsletter (or any other offer, for that matter) if you opt-in for it explicitly.

So, tl;dr: no dev mistake, just unfortunate copy.

This is actually a recent update and we now realize it might be a little confusing, so we will adjust it. Thank you for the valuable feedback, once again.

Dear @isfetea ,

I guess, Plesk is the first company who deals with it that strictly. So far, I have only seen double-opt-in methods when creating an account or signing up for a newsletter.
I am happy to provide feedback on the updated message... I assume just two different messages would help (the one above in case people decide for the newsletter and a separate one just people who do not want to get the newsletter but only a response...).

Btw: I heard the same happens in case you request a test license.

Dear @isfetea ,
Btw: I heard the same happens in case you request a test license.

Due to your post, we already rolled back to the previous version which was clearer. We hope it is now obvious what sort of messages and communication is possible by accepting the DOI notification.

Reactions: B_P
Back