• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Correct name server settings at registrar side

David Kornfeld

New Pleskian
Hello,

I'm new to Plesk and I'm confused which value to set in my domain registrar's nameserver fields (joker.com). I installed Plesk from Digital Ocean's Marketplace and then added my domain in the Plesk CP. Plesk created a set of DNS records (apparently based on the my Digital Ocean droplet's assigned IP address). I'm attaching a screen shot of Plesk's DNS records. I haven't made any changes to any DNS settings.

On this page:
Adding and Removing Domains
it looks as if I should use my IP address as value in my registrar's nameserver fields. (However, I only have one IP address associated and my registrar requires at least two records. If this is indeed the correct value(s) - how do I assign a second IP address?)

However, on this page:
How to use DNS with a Plesk server

it looks like I should use ns1.paavojarvifoundation.org & ns2.paavojarvifoundation.org

I would be very grateful if somebodey could advice which of the alternatives will be correct.

Many thanks & Kind regards!
David Kornfeld

dns-settings.jpeg

Thanks Monty!

I would prefer not to create my own name server on Joker. I just want Joker to direct my domain name to my Plesk server on Digital Ocean. As I understand, my Plesk server has automatically set up a name server when the domain was added. So what I'm wonderings is: can Joker's name server point my domain name to my Plesk server, and if so, should I add my Plesk server's IP address or the host names 'ns1.paavojarvifoundation.org' and 'ns2.paavojarvifoundation.org' into Joker's 'nameserver 1' and 'nameserver 2' fields? Or won't that work at all?

Thanks again!
David

You won't get around registering your nameservers at Joker. This is how registrars work: First you register 2 nameservers and then you point all of your domains to those 2 nameservers at the registrar.

Back