• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Correct setup for Client/Reseller Accounts for DNS

J

jjsba

Hi there,

If I have a PLESK server and it is setup for me as hostingcompany.com, with my server DNS template looking like:

<domain>. NS ns1.hostingcompany.com
<domain>. NS ns2.hostingcompany.com
<domain>. A <ip>
<domain>. MX (10) mail.<domain>.
<ip> / 24 PTR <domain>.
ftp.<domain>. A <ip>
mail.<domain>. A <ip>
smtp.<domain>. A <ip>
webmail.<domain>. A <ip>

When I setup CLIENT accounts, and that CLIENT goes to setup a domain under THEIR account, that DNS default setup is putting our hosting company default DNS servers ns1/ns2.hostingcompany.com in their client's DNS records.

Should I:

A) Take the two default NS records OUT of the server default DNS record and then instruct the CLIENT to add in his own NS records for each client each time he creates a domain?

B) Leave the two default hostingcompany.com NS records IN the server default DNS record and then instruct the CLIENT to remove them on each domain he creates and add in his own for each domain he creates?

C) Create a generic nameserver setup like ns1/ns2.genericnameserver.com and allow resellers to either use our generic nameservers or setup their own private ones?

D) Are NS records even required for each and every domain? Can I just leave them OUT of the default server DNS template and the domains that the CLIENT creates will be OK without the NS records?

I guess I was just wondering if there was a way for a CLIENT to create his OWN DNS TEMPLATE for HIS domains under HIS client account?

Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Back