• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Creating Domain Alias problems

ksmith

New Pleskian
Hello,

Recently I've setup a new centos 6.2 64 bit server and upgraded to 6.3 via the yum repositories, and installed/setup plesk to work on a setup for a client.

No changes or recompilations have been done to the system, besides the default update tasks plesk does.

I did create a client owner account to add subscriptions to it. All subscriptions made for the domains are using the unlimited package with unlimited amounts of domain aliases, and the subscription has the domain alias manager enabled as well

After going in, creating a few domains and using FTP to upload files to the httpdocs folders, I went to add some domain aliases as the client requested.

In adding the domain alias name of "kids" I get the following error:

Error: The domain name you specified is invalid. Domain names can comprise letters, digits and hyphens. Each part of the domain name between dots should not be longer than 63 symbols.

This is a clean install so I'm seeking any suggestions on how to get around this or correct the issue with not being able to add domain aliases. Anyone have any suggestions on things to check or how to fix this issue?

Have you tried other aliases or it is caused only by 'kids' alias name?

Smith I also hope you are typing a full qualified domain name and not just a name "kids"

Well for the client's protection, lets just use domain.com as the subscription for the domain in this example, but yes I did create a subscription for the client first, and after doing this, I tried adding the domain aliases.

"kids" wasn't the only thing I tried. I tried several others even an alias of * or one of 63 characters, but all of them yielded the same error message. it seems that no combination of letters actually work in this area of the panel to add the domain alias.

no errors are posting in /usr/local/psa/admin/logs/panel.log either when tailing the log and repeating the error in the plesk panel.

I've checked /var/log/messages and /var/log/sw-cp-server/error_log while repeating the error again with no information being generated in the logs. Is there perhaps a different plesk panel error log I should be checking for more information aside from these?

Smith is the alias you are adding in the format: alias.com ?? eg somekids.com or you just type kids without the TLD?

This highlights the confusion

Smith I also hope you are typing a full qualified domain name and not just a name "kids"

I got bitten by this. The form for the subdomain name shows the text field followed by a dropdown box with the domain name in it.

It's not obvious that an FQDN is needed there, and the error is not specific enough.

Back