• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Creating Subdomains Problem

Y

YankeeRudi

I am in the process of setting up a windows based VPS through a hosting company. The hosting plan comes with Parallels Plesk 10.1.1 for Windows.

I am trying to create subdomains, but I am having a problem creating them in the subdomain folder under the domain.

Before starting this new process of moving to the VPS, my website was hosted in a shared hosting environment. Under that plan (which used an earlier version of Plesk), I could chose to create the subdomains under “physical hosting†or “Subdomain on subfolderâ€. I always selected the “Physical Hostingâ€. Now, it appears that I do not have the choice. It looks like it is automatically created under “Subdomain on subfolderâ€.

The problem with that solution from my website design point of view is that when I designed my website, I created the main website as a web project in MS Studio Web Developer. I also created each subdomain as a separate web project. Having the subdomains as physical hosting sites allowed me to have each subdomain as independent projects. If I created them as subdirectories to the main website in the HTTPDOCS directory, they will automatically become part of the main project and will no longer be independent projects when I synchronize the web site project to the website itself. The subdomains will just be additional folders in my main project.

The domain does have a “subdomains†folder under its root directory. Is there a way to have the subdomains reside in that directory just like they did under the earlier version of Plesk, which would allow me to still have all my subdomains as separate web projects?

If I create a subdomain (in my case “testingâ€) and only use the subfolder name “testing†as the "Document root", I receive the information that the subdomain is created. I also receive an error: “Error: Unable to configure ASP.NET: Could not find a part of the path ‘C:\Inetpub\vhosts\domain.com\testing\web.config'. What it should be is: 'C:\Inetpub\vhosts\domain.com\subdomains\testing\web.config'. The folder “testing†is actually created under the "subdomains" folder under the domain. I can even drill down to the “testing†subfolder under “subdomainsâ€. Also, on the main page of “Websites & Domains†when I click on the hosting link for the “testing†subdomain, it does not take me to the subdomain’s root directory, it takes me to the domain root directory with the error: “Error: Unable to change directory to '//testing: Directory does not exist'. What it should have is '/subdomains/testing'. Also, although I can navigate to “subdomains\testing†through the control panel, I cannot access it through FTP, I get an Access Denied error

If I create a subdomain (in my case “testingâ€) and only use the subfolder name “httpdocs\testing†as the "Document root", I receive the information that the subdomain is created and get no error. I can also access it through FTP. But now it is part of my domain project and not individual projects as it would have been under the "subdomain" folder.

Is there anything that I can do to have the "subdomains" folder work the same way as it did under the older version of Plesk?

Back