• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Crontab items not running

I

ice51

After upgrading without issue from 7.0x to 7.1 to 7.5 the cron tab entrys in my domains are not executing.
I've checked the permissions in the domains subfolders and all is as it was prior to the upgrade.
Can anyone shed some light on why the crontab jobs would have stopped running?
Thanks,
ice51

Ok. I've checked the paths and prior to the upgrade we were calling php without a path.
I've modified them with a full path to php.

Man it'd be great if one could 'run now' from the control panel.
--ice51

Ok. No dice.
I can log into webmin and run the jobs fine. They just don't appear to be running on their own?
Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.
-ice51

Perhaps the cron tasks added trough Plesk prior to the upgrade aren't active anymore because of some bug...

The first step I'd do would be to use ssh and check if old tasks that are listed in Plesk under the cron section of the domain in question are still listed in the crontab of the user.

The command to check this in shell would be 'crontab -l -u username', where "username" is the ftp username of the domain. This will list everything that is scheduled for this user.

Than I would add something new to the domain's crontab trough Plesk's interface and check again...

If old tasks still exist and new tasks do get added to crontab but do not execute, than the problem is elsewhere, not in Plesk... But this is unlikely since your Webmin adds the tasks properly and they execute as they should...

Yeah, I've checked and the users' crontabs still have the entrys in them. I've gone so far as to chmod 777 the php files that are supposed to be being executed.
The cron items in the standard cron area (etc/cron) are running fine.
I'm a bit stumped.
New entrys fail to run as well. The scripts run via command line fine.
Are there any linux (Red Had E3) things I should go bang on? In Webmin I can 'run' the scripts from the cron area and they execute fine as well.
Screwey eh?

I'm still surfing and reading so if anybody has an idea please stick it in here!
Many thanks for the things to try so far!
-Ice51

Ok. I'm an idot.
Note to self. ALWAYS CHECK THE OBVIOUS FIRST!

I assumed that crond was running and that the main system logs were being rotated.
Nope.
I noticed while scanning the system logs via webmin that the last message regarding cron was its 'succesfull shutdown' on the day of the upgrade.

Since the box hadn't been rebooted and plesk didn't restart crond thats why my stuff wasn't running.

Oh well. I guess I won't make that mistake again.
Thanks again for the help.
Next time I'll make sure to start at the top and peel back the issues until I'm sure things aren't running.
LMAO.

Thanks,
-ICE51

Back