• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

customers or my fault ???

I

irzyxel

anyone ever seen something like this:

Received: from p213.54.176.55.tisdip.tiscali.de (HELO ?192.168.122.254?) (213.54.176.55)

seems these mail get blocked by aol cause 192.168.122.254 doesnt resolve

The customer's computer is saying it is 192.168.x.x, but the real IP is 213.54.x.x.

Why the 192.168.x.x IP is even in the headers is a good question. But I wouldn't relay mail that says its from 192.168.* or 10.* or 172.16.* either..

Emails from the *.tiscali.de domain are all spam **** anyways.... I've got them blocked at my firewall, but they keep trying...

heh, no chance here, tiscali is big in germany, like 10% of my customers email from tiscali.

Sorry, let me re-phrase:

I host in the US, and all the emails which used to come into my hosted domains from tiscali.de were of a Spam nature, so I blocked them out.

Luckily, none of my hosted clients (local businesses) have had need for much international emailing, so on most of my servers I am able to block out entire countries with no affect on my clients, other than reducing their received Spam emails...

AOL will block mail if there is no reverse dns entry. If you don't control your PTR records contact your ISP and ask them to setup a reverse DNS entry.

my server DOES reverse. i even checked with the aol tool, they also get the reverse. the only thing in the headers that looked wrong was that messed up helo

The computer that you are sending the email from, is it getting it's IP through DHCP? Do you have additional IP addresses so that you can you assign it an IP?

umm, the mail is send from that tiscali dialup host ...

no control over that ...
the question is, why is my server getting a 192.x helo and how to stop it i guess ;)

seems i found my problem ...
outgoing mail used to go over eth:0 = x.x.x.2 which has reverse dns.

now i mail from foo.com which has x.x.x.17
but the mail goes out of x.x.x.10 which belongs to foo.org and it eth:9 ???
now wth is going on, i thought qmail binds to the first interface ???

hehe :D knowing what to look for, i found an "old" post by art:
qmail is annoying in that it will cycle through aliased IP's on your box. You can force outbound mail packets to be rewritten so they appear to come from a specific IP, using iptables:

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -p tcp --dport 25 -j SNAT --to-source <YOUR IP>

any configurable way to fix qmail to an ip tho ??? and why didnt qmail seem to have done it in the last 2 years ?

Back