• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

Resolved Customizing Plesk admin URL

ChrisY

New Pleskian
Hi,

I have a Plesk Web Admin edition (Obsidian 18.0.20 Update #2) running on Ubuntu, hosted on an AWS EC2 instance.

I tried to modify the Plesk admin url from the random amazonaws.com hostname to plesk.mydomain.com using the following SSH command:
plesk bin admin --enable-access-domain plesk.mydomain.com

After adding the subdomain plesk.mydomain.com through the Plesk console, I'm able to access the Plesk console through the new URL. However, even after creating a new SSL certificate for the new subdomain, I'm still getting an untrusted certificate error when accessing the site. There seems to a name mismatch even after reissuing the certificate.

I have 2 questions:
1) Do you need to add the new subdomain within the Plesk admin console if I just want it to point to the admin URL?
2) What's the appropriate way to secure the new URL?

Thanks in advance.

GUI > Tools & Settings > Security > SSL/TLS Certificates
Make sure that "Certificate for securing Plesk" is the Let's Encrypt certificate and that "Certificate for securing mail" is the Let's Encrypt certificate.
Also make sure that the Let's Enrypt certificate is selected as the "default" certificate of the server. If it is not, check the box in front of it and click "Make default".
Does that solve your issue?

Thanks! Setting the certificates to the new subdomain certificate fixed the issue :)

Hi,

I've the same problem.
What do you mean by "Setting the certificates to the new subdomain certificate fixed the issue"?

I added an entry in the dns : "gestion" (A => gestion.mydomain.com)

It works but access to the page is blocked by my protection software (invalid certificate).
The domain certificate was already installed. so i reinstalled (letsencrypt - wildcard / emails).

No problem with "www.mydomain.com".

But already the certificate problem with "gestion.mydomain.com" to access to the login panel page.

If I look at the certificate details, it is the hostname certificate (valid) that goes back, and not the client domain wilcard.
How resolve it?

Peter?

@Erwan

The SSL certificate for securing your Plesk server is a different certificate than the ones used for securing any domain. Go Tools & Settings > SSL/TLS Certificates and click the Lets Encrypt button to secure your Plesk server with an certificate.

Schermafbeelding 2021-11-18 om 22.32.10.png

?
The server is secure with Let's encrypt:

1637271701028.jpeg
The problem: for "gestion.mydomain.com", it seems that the hostname certificate is used, not wildcard (*.mydomain.com).
No problem for www.mydomain.com, imaps, smtps...etc, certifcate is correct.

Hostname
==========
> certificate ok for plesk
> certificate ok for emails

Customer / mydomain.com
==========
> wildcard *. mydomain.com (let's encrypt) for www, webmail, emails.... ok
> create a DNS entry only (A => plesk.mydomain.com => domain IP) for access to the panel for customer

So "plesk.mydomain.com" work (access to the log page) but certificate error in Chrome. In fact, it's the hostname certificat that seems to be used and not the wildcard *.mydomain.com

Why would you want to use the wildcard certificate for the hostname of your server to access Plesk?

I don't !
I want the subdomain of the customer "plesk.mycustomerdomain.com" use the certificate of the customer.
But it's the hostname certificate that is used...

It's the same problem that ChrisY.

Back